Monday, May 3, 2010

Exercise-Drug Relapse Connection?

I've long been of the thought that exercise is a very, very necessary evil. It's something I don't wake up thinking, man, I can't wait to do that but the benefits of it keep me trying to stay on a schedule. I say trying because last year I didn't do so great. Anyway, we all know about a lot of different benefits including a more positive outlook and better physical fitness in turn leading to better health.

Today, I stumbled across and article that combined those two benefits and takes exercise a step further. UGA and Emory University have been awarded a grant allowing them to study the link between exercise and the chance of a drug relapse. Basically, they are looking to see if people who work out are less likely to relapse. Because drug use is so closely linked to stress and exercise is so often considered THE way to destress, it makes sense for them to look into it. The most challenging aspect of treating someone with an addiction is to try to prevent a relapse and stress tends to send many people who are otherwise beating their addiction right back into its waiting arms.

I'm really hoping that this turns out to be something simply because I have dealt with addiction in my own family. Both my father and my step father are alcoholics. I believe much of the research into drugs could also be applied to alcohol addiction. My father has not had a drink in 21 years and spends a great deal of time doing physical activities like running, hitting the gym, playing in a softball league, bowling and playing wall ball. My step father has not gone more than 6 months without a drink in the past 10 years. He rarely exercises and has high blood pressure. Add that to not eating in a healthy fashion and it seems like he is destined to continue repeating this pattern. Imagine if I could back up what I have been saying for years with scientific research?

The researchers have been granted 1.9 million dollars over the course of the next 5 years and will begin their study with rats.

No comments: