Friday, May 14, 2010

All the Single Ladies...


So last night I logged into facebook to discover all these people had written “CONGRATS” all over my friend Mallory’s wall. Anytime I see that word on the wall of someone who isn’t married yet I just KNOW that means they got engaged. Which of course means I skip right over to their page to stalk. I want pictures, details and to see who is genuinely happy for the couple and who is not.

In Mallory’s case, I am genuinely happy for her. Her neighbors used to babysit me when I was a kid. They had three kids who I used to babysit when I was in middle and high school. Which in turn led to me babysitting Mallory and her three younger sisters. We both attended UGA for college and crossed paths and I remember thinking how strange it was to see this girl I used to babysit funneling beers and downing shots. She went on to medical school and became a nurse and now is engaged. Some people are better at this shit than I am.

Since my mom is good friends with Mallory’s, I text her to tell her the news. A simple “Mallory got engaged about an hour ago.” By the time I went to bed I still hadn’t heard from her. Figuring she was made at me for some unknown slight, I crashed and didn’t worry about it. Then this morning I woke up to the following texts from my mother:

“That is cool. Good for love you much.” (ummm sidenote- are you drunk Mom?)
“Cool. I guess if you let yourself out there and you too can get engaged. I love you.”

Is it annoying to see people younger than me getting engaged? Kind of. But do I want to be engaged right now? Hell to the fucking no. I’m only 26 years old for God’s sake. Yes, I know I should be on the path to happiness and figuring my shit out but I’m not. I’m a late bloomer in all things love and happiness related. Why is my mother feeling a need to point this out to me (extra side note for those of you who don’t read Life in Shambles- my ex got engaged last week which she knows about)? Suddenly it seems to matter that I’m not married/engaged/at least in a long term relationship/ going on dates on a regular basis. It’s like her biological clock is ticking for me!

Plus, I know so many people who tied the knot young only to get divorced a year or two or five down the road. I want FOREVER and I’m damn sure gonna get it whether it’s with a man or myself. I don’t want to have it all figured out now because where is the fun in that?

So, tell me, are you feeling left out of the Bridal Brigade? Does it annoy you to see people tying the knot or could you care less?


** Big Thanks to Beyonce for that stupid Single Ladies Anthem. If I have to catch a bridal bouquet to that song one more time...
***Yes, I shamelessly plugged one of my other blogs above. I'm a whore like that.

5 comments:

AshleyRae said...

Every single day for the past several weeks I know someone who has A: gotten engaged, B: married, C:announced they were pregnant or D:had a baby. I shit you not, every single DAY! Do I feel left out, um yeah.

And I am trying to put myself out there, but yeah they do get annoying b/c it seems like every one is in such a damn hurry. Where as I am not in any hurry, like yourself. My mom has already started talking about when she is going to have grandchildren? WTF! At least yours didn't throw that in your face...sounds like she misread the meaning behind your text. But yeah....whenever I hear of an engagement I always seem to start singing Queen: "And another one bites the dust!"

Berryfine said...

How do you misinterpret the very simple "Mallory got engaged" absolutely no subtext at all.
Also, she told me that Evan would be the child to give her grandchildren so I guess she kind of has slapped me in the face with that considering Evan is 14.

Hot Mess said...

last year i went to 7 weddings, 4 bachelorette parties and 5 showers. shoot me in the face (that's what she said). i dont really feel left out though because none of them were SUPER close friends except 1 and I wasn't actually IN any of the weddings so I've got that going for me. I think once my close close friends start getting married I'll prob start feeling left out but god i hope that's not for at least another 5 years. It does annoy the shit out of me when it's all over facebook though because you feel obligated to congratulate when really you couldn't care less...

selina_leigh said...

I'm in 2 weddings this year, thank goodness both have been in relationships longer than me and I genuinely LOVE all parties involved, otherwise I'd hit someone.

Not to sound spoiled, but I FEEL FREAKING LEFT OUT! We've been together for almost 3 years and I freaking want a ring and house and a normal life and another baby. If I didn't already have one I probably wouldn't care as much but right now I just feel like the 26 yo loser living at home with her parents and her kid whose bf of 3 years won't marry her. I mean, he wants to finish his internship yada yada blah blah blah...... I don't care, I just want a ring.

I may have sang Single Ladies to him a couple of drunken times. It's endearing, I don't know WHY he hasn't proposed? ;)

L. DaCosta said...

I've been with the bf for 4.5 years now. I hate the question. "When are you getting married?" After laughing it off I've started to tell people that he doesn't love me. I'm in no rush and it's been discussed. Just saying it'd been discussed is enough for most. The only big problem I've seen lately is the fact that my Mother has been hinting at me for grandchildren. The boyfriends Mother & Aunt started two years ago at his graduation. I'm gonna need everyone to stop making plans for my uterus. We just bought a house? Isn't that enough for a bit?