Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Holy HELL

Today marks the start of hell aka personal training with Cassandra the BEAST. In preparation, I tried to be in bed early (9:30 pm) but I was so keyed up I couldn't get to sleep until nearly 11 pm. Strike one. I woke up, grabbed a Cliff Bar Mini and drove to the gym. My legs are still sore so I hit the treadmill for an easy 30 minutes at 5.5 mph and ran 2.5 miles. Then Hell made an appearance on earth.



Cassandra said in light of my 9 mile run on Sunday and the soreness of my legs she would go easy on me. She just wanted to see where I stood and how my balance, coordination and strength were. Well, I have no balance, little coordination and strong legs but weak arms. I could have told her this all up front and saved us some time. I know I needed to work the soreness out but whew!



Cassandra and I have very different ideas of going easy.



We started with my foot on a balance ball. I straightened the leg out behind me, bent over and kicked back both triceps with 8 lbs weights. 12 times on one side before moving to side squats with a 15 lb weight. After squatting to one side, I would perform a row to the opposite side. 12 times each side. Then came Air Squats. WHAT THE FUCK. Speed Squats. 50 of them. I performed this circuit twice and on the third time I did 6 reps of the balance ball exercise on each side.



Please. Let. Me. Breathe.



Apologies to anyone who saw me dripping all over the place (of course gym crush had a prime view of this entire rotation from his treadmill. I didn't even look up to see if he was looking because I did not want to see the smirk). After this, I did pushups. I'm lucky if I can do 10 of them in one sitting but of course Cassandra wouldn't make this easy. After each fucking pushup she had me drop to my forearms and raise back up one at a time. The first 10, I had to stop once. At which point she counts to 3 and then expects you to get going again. Then she made me grab 5 lbs weights and do backwards walking lunges with bicep curls. I don't know how many I did because she never told me. But, damn, I was lucky I could breathe. Then back to the stupid pushups. Which at this point I really could not breath and pretty much had to pause every 2. And every time I paused she added another so you can bet by the last three I was like FUCK. THIS.



Get. It. Done.



I'm lucky I could walk afterwards. I hit the upright bicycle for 20 minutes and a low resistance as a form of cooling off. I don't know if I will make it to Thursday's session!



Don't forget to enter my Fitness Magazine giveaway! Trust me, it's jam packed with great workout tips for those of you who don't have the Devil (Cassandra) in your lives! So far, I have three entries from the Boring Adam and I'm not sure he really wants a female magazine which would defeat the purpose of the giveaway. Though if he wins, he's getting it!

3 comments:

runluaurun.com said...

Sometimes the Devil is just who we need...sounds like Cassandra is an awesome Devil...

inspiREDtorun13 said...

My guess is Adam wouldn't have entered if he didn't want to win...

but maybe I will. I've never won a blog give away before. Yikes that training session sounds tough! You're impressive :)

Berryfine said...

Haha this is a NEW thing inspiREDtorun13. Last year I would work out for like 2-3 weeks and then take a month (or two!) off. So the commitment has come to me SLOWLY...