Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wig-Out Wednesday: Cinco de Mayo edition!

I got in an argument today with some guy about St. Patty’s Day and Cinco de Mayo. Granted it was a twittergument/twitterment/argutweet (idk what the hell one would call it) so everything had to be stated in 140 characters or less. Obviously, it was impossible for me to sway this guy’s opinion that American’s are disrespectful because we get shithoused on these holidays. I was going to say people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones but apparently he doesn’t drink so I guess that little maneuver wasn’t going to work. Since my tweets can’t help me, I’m taking it to the blog people!

  • He asked me if Jews celebrate Christmas? Do Christians celebrate Hannakuh? Uhhh are you serious? I’m pretty sure Cinco de Mayo is about the Battle of Pueblo and how a small army of Mexicans overcame the French. Is this a new Battle Religion I’ve never heard of? Now, St. Patrick’s Day does have religious overtones as it began as a purely Catholic holiday that celebrates St. Patrick, considered to be the Patron Saint of Ireland. But in the 1600s it became an official feast day and over time has become an entirely secular celebration of the Irish culture. So, I don’t think you can compare two essentially non religious holidays with two that are entirely religious (aside from the gifts- that has absolutely nothing to do with religion at all. Just that we are greedy fucks).
  • That being said, both Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick’s Day are celebrations of their respective cultures. Kind of like Chinese New Year. And whatever else we celebrate through the year for various cultures. Celebrations generally involve food and drink. As far back as I can research and this applies to religious and non-religious holidays.
  • It’s disrespectful to the cultures the way we celebrate their holidays. How so? Because we celebrate with a brewski or two (or ten, twenty, as many as it takes to make bad decisions, black out and wake up in a cell)? In reference to St. Patrick’s Day, James O’Mara closed the bars down in the early 1900s after drinking became too out of hand for the country to handle. This lasted until 1970 and many Irish still use this as a day to abstain from alcohol rather than downing whiskey and Guiness by the barrel. However, can we really be mad if the rest of the world celebrates in this manner when in Ireland the same celebration was the cause of the abstinence imposed by a government unable to control the drunks? Especially since in the 1990s, Ireland campaigned to turn the holiday into something of a celebration for its culture not just a religious homage to St. Patrick. Cinco de Mayo on the otherhand is mostly celebrated by Americans and the Pueblo people as a tribute to Mexican heritage. Mexico does not recognize it as a holiday! Last time I checked, the Mexicans enjoyed indulging in a few cervezas as much as we Americans do. So getting sloshed, eating Mexican food and listening to mariachi bands is perfectly acceptable in my book.
  • Since these holidays are now used to help share their respective cultures with us, I see no reason to object to our indulging on these days in what their cultures have to offer- that being delicious booze, fantastic food and music we don’t typically hear on Top 40 radio. Some people get hammered, some people don't. But like Christmas and New Year's and Hannakuh and any other holiday- everyone does it differently. And what about people who genuinely appreciate other cultures and religion? You want to stop them from the enjoyment as well? You live in a country that is considered the melting pot of the world asshole. Get used to it.


What I don’t understand is why his boxers were in a bunch in the first place. And after I pointed out that Cinco de Mayo is NOT a religious holiday (he tried to tell me it was) and some other key points, he conceded that he hadn’t done his research but his opinion stands. Which is fine. But don’t throw something like people shouldn’t drink today because it’s disrespectful and then get mad when people call you out on it. It took me less than 5 minutes to research both holidays and come back with something so he should have done the same. Also, that whole not judging others thing that I preach but rarely practice- He should really get off his I don’t drink, I’m Irish (no you cannot be Irish and not drink…especially saying you’ve never had a drink ever) high horse. Why should you even be worried how others celebrate holidays? Yeah, some people just choose to get hammered and don't even know the meaning but others really are out there enjoying and learning. So what if they have some beer with their education? Anyone disagree with me here? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

That being said, I bid you adios. Enjoy some queso and margaritas for me and all the Mexican people out there!