Monday, May 31, 2010

Run With the Dawgs 5K

My friend Leigh and I hit up Athens, GA for the 7th Annual Running with the Dawgs 5K and it was great! We both attended the University of Georgia and love Athens so this was an awesome first race to run together.

We agreed Leigh would pick me up at 6:15 am but we woke up concerned the race wouldn't be run because of the torrential downpour going on. We decided to head the hour down the road anyway and see what happens. I have never run a race in the rain and was kind of nervous this would be the first time I had to try. Luckily for me, the rain subsided as we pulled in and picked up our race packets!


The race started in downtown Athens and made a loop around it (supposedly so we could pass the ceramic bulldogs all around town that are painted up for charity though I know of at least three on Broad Street that we missed out on seeing) then headed out of downtown and into the scenic neighborhoods surrounding it. If I had to guess, I'd say there were less than 500 people for the race and I'm sure a fair number of people saw the rain and skipped out.

Leigh and I started out in the middle of the pack. I took the first mile WAYYY faster than I intended to and hit the mile marker at 8 minutes. I tried to slow it down and I have no idea how to adjust my pace in a race so my body was going to have to do it for me. The course was a lot hillier than I had anticipated after reading the race website which said it went through downtown. Which it did for about 1/2 a mile. Couple of issues I had with the race:

  1. It was HOTTTTT. And sticky. Like more rain was just waiting to shower down on us.


  2. I couldn't find music I liked and my iPod was not working with me on that. It was distracting me.


  3. Little kids were passing me. And by little I mean, UNDER 10. It was disheartening.


  4. Only one water stop (I know, I know I should plan ahead blah blah blah).


  5. The last hill was RIGHT before the finish line. I absolutely CANNOT STAND when they end a race on hill. It's like whoever mapped the course has never run a race before!


  6. The overall female winner really annoyed me. She didn't follow the course correctly so she didn't cross the finish line first and she ran way more than 3.1 miles. She complained, they gave her the prize. Yes, they should have marked the course better but if you can't follow the directions they give you (turn right at the top of the hill) then tough cookies. Sorry that you didn't win one time but better luck next time.


  7. That being said- there was no real start (a string is not a start my friend) and no real course marking. Considering it was the 7th time they put this shin dig on, they should have been better at this.

It was a GREAT time and I PRed with a time of 28:18 and I thought for sure I was losing it at the end and wouldn't PR but I did! I would definitely do the race again- it was $15 to register and it was fun to wear my red and black and run through town. I don't know why I didn't do more running through Athens in college!

Oh! And my favorite part of the event was that at precisely 8 AM the starting official got on the PA and asked for a moment of silence for those men and women who protect us every day by fighting for our freedoms to do the things we love. The crowd hushed and church bells denoting the time of 8 AM started going off. Two little boys in matching outfits with bib numbers (no joke could not have been older than 3 maybe four) turned to their dad and said, "Hey! I thought it was supposed to be quiet? Who's making that noise?" I couldn't contain my giggles, it was so darn cute!


DON'T FORGET TO ENTER MY GIVEAWAY- you have until June 2nd to win 13 prizes!

2 comments:

RunMom said...

Stupid hills. Congratulations on the PR anyway! And in honor of your PR (and also because you won my contest) I will send you a car magnet from one more mile. Send me an email at runfastmommy@gmail.com and I'll send you the details.

selina_leigh said...

Love this post! :)