Sunday, May 16, 2010

Skirtchaser 5K Recap!

Yesterday, I ran the inaugural Skirtchaser Atlanta 5K. I wanted to do a race recap but since I've never really done one and my thoughts are all kind of jumbled, I thought I would just post things as they came to me as well as some pictures!
  • The race was at 5:30 pm. It makes sense in some respect given they do a block party afterwards and its geared toward singles who want to mingle. But in Atlanta in May it is a HORRENDOUS choice. It was hot and humid and miserable. I would NEVER recommend an afternoon race in Atlanta in the late spring/summer months. Maybe a late race or an early race but not anytime between 10 am and 7 pm.

  • The water stations. Oh, wait, there was only one. At the 1.5 mile mark. I know you should be prepared and bring your own but at the same time, as a race series I feel like you should be able to supply water more frequently. Especially in an area like Atlanta where the weather was so disgusting. I had cotton mouth even after spending a day hydrating for the race.

  • The course had far more hills than I thought but was BEAUTIFUL. I don't think they could have picked a better place in Atlanta. Candler Park is such a cute little area- I would kill to live there! The hills were rolling but were ass kickers.

  • Don't start at the front. I didn't want to but kind of ended up there. I came out of the first mile WAYYYYY too fast and ended up having to take a walk break. I was not alone in this. Most of the guys who passed me ended up getting passed by me later in the race when they had to stop for air.

  • I wish I had friends who signed up for the race with me. I was one of the few who came by themselves. Unfortunately, the block party isn't as fun if you don't know anyone.

  • Not to toot my own horn but I get hit on only by guys I am not attracted to. So, while I thought the idea of all the single people wearing skirt chaser stickers on their bums, I did not participate. The other thing is, I was sweating like...well I was covered in sweat so I wasn't feeling up to flirting with anyone.

  • I ran for the first time in a running skirt. I always kind of secretly laughed at people who wore these but LADIES, I HAVE BEEN CONVERTED. I wish I could give one of these bad boys away to you peeps, that's how much I liked it. Unfortunately, they are kind of pricey for my $13.50/hr paycheck :( I can't even buy one for myself- thank god they gave me one before the race to run in (get it? Skirtchaser?) Check out the site if you are interested in buying one! The built in shorts didn't ride up so NO CHAFING which is a serious issue for thighs like mine. Plus the skirt looked cute. Though I did get asked if I was hitting the tennis courts when I stopped at the gas station! Plus the one they gave me had a built in pocket to stash my id and stuff which was clutch since they had to id me for my post-run beers!

  • I PRed! I ran a 29.21 according to their clock. However, when I checked the results page I didn't see my name or bib number anywhere so my timing chip must have been busted :( I'm pretty bummed about that since my favorite thing is finding my name in the list. Plus I have no idea where I finished in the grand scheme of things!

  • I will definitely sign up for this race again but I want to have a group of friends do it with me so it's not so intimidating. There were a lot of singles, families and couples out there so not a lot of people approached me or appreciated my approaches!
Here are some of the quick pics I snapped on my Blackberry. Unfortunately, the pro pics won't go up until Wednesday so if those are any good I will post those as well!


I got there early enough to see some of the race organizers setting up the block party! Love their Skirt Sports skirts!



Proceeds from the race went to Atlanta's Rally Foundation to cure Childhood Cancers. This girl has been in remission for 10 years and officially kicked our race off after telling us her story. Which had me almost in tears!




With my first beer, post race! Celebrating my fastest, sweatiest and hardest 5K!


4 comments:

selina_leigh said...

Wooohooo! I'm so happy for your PR!

inspiREDtorun13 said...

I wore a running skirt for the first time in the half marathon I did in March. I liked it so much more than I was expecting to. So comfortable!

This sounds like a fun race. I totally understand the feeling of showing up for a race solo. I've done it and it's just not as fun. Kudos to you for getting out there and finishing under 30 min.

Adam said...

I've never done one, but skirt chaser races sound really fun.

WHAT is up with afternoon races?? Bleh. Not.a.fan.

Berryfine said...

Adam it is really cool- the first three finishers get cash prizes PLUS the first skirtchaser to find his skirt and cross the finish line with her gets a prize. Atlanta had never had one and a bunch of us started tweeting to @Skirtchaser5K until they announced they would be coming to Atlanta!