Monday, April 12, 2010

Relationships...

If anyone ever asks me about my relationship status and subsequently why I'm in said relationship status I always respond with the following:


"I'm single. Which is good because I don't want to put the effort into a relationship."
Which is true- to an extent. You see, a relationship is WORK. And having to be considerate of another person when making your decisions. Being accountable for your actions and how they affect the other person. And shaving...daily. Which is just...BLEH. For a long time, I've been okay with not having to exert said efforts unless I wanted to. Does this make me an asshole? Maybe, but I'm an asshole that's considerate enough to know I was unwilling to make that effort so I steered away from having to do so. Thereby saving someone the trouble of getting pissed at me.
The fact of the matter is guys aren't exactly beating down the door to take me out on dates. In fact, my last first date was roughly...3 years ago? I've been seriously single since I was twenty (the six year anniversary of singledom is in October) and for the most part I've been more than okay with this. My last serious relationship burned me pretty badly (let's just say we could easily qualify for a stint on Jerry Springer with a side of Dr. Phil) and since then I've picked guys that I knew it would never work out with. Hello, gym crush and your billion or so tattoos, ridiculous attire, red sox fandom and oh yeah that pesky situation involving a wife and brand new baby girl?





Remember this post, where I brainstormed what I was looking for in a guy? Well, let's just say I may have met him this weekend and the forecast is not all flowers, chocolates and love. First, let's compare him to my checklist:
  1. A male- CHECK. He is definitely a guys guy and I like it.

  2. Athletic- CHECK. Former college football player and current kickballer.

  3. Smart- CHECK. Able to carry on a conversation, currently in Navy Supply School. Facebook page doesn't contain tons of ridiculous errors in commentary.

  4. Sense of Humor- CHECK. He had me giggling most of the day and well into the evening.

  5. Sports- CHECK. University of South Carolina fan and not ashamed to admit it.

  6. Attractive- CHECK. At first, he was not even on my radar but he is cute (and my friend Ashley definitely confirmed) and has a great smile. Plus, that sense of humor just really ups him a notch.

  7. Outgoing- CHECK. At a tailgate filled with people he didn't know, he walked right up and started conversations and jumped right into the beer pong rotation (AND kicked ass at it I might add).

On top of those very easy to meet requirements, the guy was genuinely nice. He listened when you spoke and joked around easily. Some chick needed help parking, he took control of the situation. While the rest of us laughed at her, he was out there helping her. Which made me feel ashamed. He took control of the situation and I liked it. He also gives a great shoulder rub and has some stellar dance moves(and by stellar I mean hysterical).

The bad thing? You knew it was coming... he's moving soon. And he doesn't even know where. He's in Athens right now at Navy Supply School and depending on his rank is where he will go. He leaves in May and even if I could think of a way to let him know I am definitely interested, my April is WAY booked so when would I have the time.

What do you think? Should this gun shy gal go for it? And if so, how do I approach a guy I've only met once and say "Hey, I like you"?

3 comments:

selina_leigh said...

He lives in Athens, Terrapin just put out a new Iron Tanker (or something) brew to benefit the GA Theater. Sounds like a good "in", reason to go to Athens, and something he might enjoy trying...? Find someone who has it on tap and invite him out!

Unknown said...

I say go for it. Short. Simple. To the point. Plus, you're thinking about moving too ....

Berryfine said...

Barbie- not just thinking. Doing. Wait till I share the dramz with you next week over dinner.