Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hell of a Way to Wake Up

This morning my phone rang. I silenced it because I was not supposed to be up yet. Immediately it rang again.

"Someone better be dead." I muttered into the phone by way of answering.
"David is."

It was 5:40 am. What I thought was a drunk dial from my bartender friend was not. My friend David had been shot. He was dead.

I have no idea how or why or what...or who. I don't know how to handle this. DEAD. I couldn't cry I was so numb. I immediately logged onto the internet to see if any news had come about. Nothing.

David was...well, there aren't really words to describe him. He was the most personable and generous person I know. He was also a total asshole. I can't even put into words how I feel about him or anything that happened. I keep thinking this is some kind of joke. Like if I call him, he might answer. Or maybe the cops made a mistake and it's not him. But it isn't a joke and it isn't a mistake.

Who could have done this? What kind of scenario could have occurred in which David is dead? I know it happens every day all over America for all kinds of reasons but not to someone I know. Someone I know well. We've been to concerts, had heart to hearts, drank beers, played video games, gone to baseball games. We were fucking friends. I just saw him on Tuesday. How can someone you just saw be dead?

I don't know why I felt compelled to type this or to put it out there but I needed to do something besides cry. I see things and remember things that remind me of him and I just lose it. I just cannot comprehend.

UPDATE: Apparently, the sister had the story wrong and just called us to notify he had actually hung himself. I don't know which scenario is worse. And I don't know how you go around calling David's friends telling them his girlfriend shot him without actually knowing the cause of death. What could I have done to help him? Is the first question that comes into my head.

No comments: