Friday, August 27, 2010

Who Has Two Legs Itching to Run and a Concussion?

THIS GIRL.

For those of you not following my 100 Day Challenge (for shame!), I was injured Wednesday night in a softball game that I was doing none to stellar at in the first place. I've copied the story from the 100 Day Challenge page since you're too lazy to click:


While covering second base, some dipshit decided to plow me over. Not uncommon (especially in this game) however I was facing the outfield for the throw in and had my foot on the back of the bag. I was in no way in the way of the runner. On top of that, after he slammed into me he just kept running for third. Why was he even near me when he was running the bases? Why could he not touch the front of the bag? For those of you that care, my unsuspecting body flew through the air and landed hard on the infield. And I slammed my head into the ground.
To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement. While I fully understand my choice to play softball comes with risk, I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that I will not get a concussion due to unsportsmanlike conduct. The guy was a jerk through the entire game; talking back to the umpire, complaining about every call, and eventually being thrown out of the game. He only apologized to me after the umpire yelled at him to get back to second base because the play was dead the minute he hit me and I went flying. His muttered "sorry" like I was in the wrong was not what I was hoping for. On top of that, the umpire eventually left the game and called for a different umpire to take over and when I approached him to talk to him about it, he acted as though both teams were at fault.
So, what does this concussion mean? Well, lucky for me, it's a mild concussion. I'll have a headache for a few days but should be fine by midweek. Once I've gone 24 straight hours with no headache and no medication (Tylenol in case you got excited for me), I'll be able to return to running. So this morning, I walked grudgingly through perfect running weather and thought about retaliation in the form of an accidental beating by bat the next time I saw this jerkoff.

5 comments:

Kovas said...

An accidental beating by bat sounds just like what that guy needs. What a jerk.

Berryfine said...

I know right? I was behind the bag! If he was rounding second there was no reason to hit me. And if he was stopping at second, well you can't run past the base and be safe. Either way the guy is an idiot.
And if it was an accident, so be it. Ask if I'm okay, help me up. SOMETHING!

Andrew Opala said...

That's pitiful. "Dipshit" is very appropriate for his behavior. Hopefully he will do some soul searching and castrate himself in the men's washroom in a greyhound bus station, with some Hank Snow country music playing in the background ... or maybe he'll just feel like crap and check in on you.

P.S. ran the 5k in a whopping 36:23 as the first part of my run. I'll send more info by email ... with bib etc.

http://runningmanwannabe.blogspot.com/2010/08/95k-virtual-5k-angels-and-vcs.html

Ron said...

Sorry about that. Softball brings out a special kind of dousche bag. Around here we call them captain coed. Who gets that fired up for COED? Really? DB. I understand competing but its REC LEAGUE. Sorry, I feel your frustration.

Fruit Fly said...

Aw man, that really sucks. As if getting clobbered isn't enough, then you can't run because of it? Lame, cranky dude. Lame!