Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday Freak Out

Anybody else hear that joke about the USPS not making money this past quarter?

No?

Click here for more details on that.

So apparently, USPS lost money because more people aren't sending shit. Things like the internet have made things more convenient. I have another idea about why people aren't sending shit...

How bout a complete and utter lack of customer service at their local locations?

In Atlanta, there are apparently stand alone mailboxes that the USPS "owns" in older apartments. Mine is in the building but still considered stand alone. The post office doesn't hold keys after someone moves, you have to pay them to rekey the lock. Want to see how easy it is to rekey a lock? Click here. I didn't discover that answer until after this whole ordeal but ANY-WAY.

In order to change the lock, you have to go to your local office or carrier hub and fill out a form. Then shell out $28 bucks. I was told it would take about 2 weeks but that since there were only two people ahead of me it would take less than that. I waited a week, no call. I called to check and was told this past Wednesday it would be done. Wednesday and Thursday came and went. Still no call.

So, today, I pick the phone up to find out if I can pick up the key on my way home from work. Cynthia, a real $^%#@, told me it's not done. Now, when I first called she interrupted me mid-sentence twice while I was explaining the situation. Then asked me for my address while I was talking and before I had a chance to answer she asked again. Impatience shimmered in her voice. I gave her the address. She left me on hold for 25 minutes. Comes back and tells me it's not done. I was clearly frustrated.

Why?

Well, one, I have a right to my fucking mail. Two, I have paychecks waiting in there. I ask why it's not done yet and when I can expect it to be done and she tells me he is on vacation. I ask why it wasn't told me to prior to today that he would be on vacation and she told me he wasn't on it when I made the request. I find it hard to believe that the asshole changing the lock was unaware that he was heading on vacation this week. And that his BOSSES were unaware as well. So I voice my frustration and she interrupts me to tell me I cannot speak to her this way. Now I may have raised my voice and octave but I wasn't cursing at her or blaming her. I was explaining a problem and asking for an explanation.

"Don't bring that mess on me when I'm trying to help you."

What? First, what the fuck is bringing that mess on you? Can you carry on an intelligent conversation without stupid accusations? Oh, this is helping me? You're I don't give a shit if you get your mail attitude is HELPING me? You're offering a solution to a problem? You're giving me something to make up for the fact that you promised a service and didn't deliver? Oh, wait no.

Before I can say anything else, CYNTHIA hangs up on me.

So I call back. Cynthia answers again and I explain to her she just hung up on me. She then LECTURES ME on my tone. I apologize that my frustration was so offputting to her but I'm having trouble understanding what is taking so long on getting this done. Meanwhile, Cynthia starts bitching to her coworker about me. Then says she'll take my number, look into this and call me back in an hour. Why does she need my number? Oh, my apartment isn't even on the list to be done at any point this month.

Does she call?

Of course not. I call again THREE HOURS later and am told by someone else that they don't have the list to see whose is done and whose is not but that the amount of locks they had to change last week was INSANE. Mr. Dawkins won't be back until Tuesday and he has the list.

Let's review:
1. I paid $28 for a new lock to be completed in 2 weeks or less. Google locks. See how much they cost. Actually just click here to find out you can get them for fucking $7 with two keys. $21 is simply for my two week wait and someone else to do what is a VERY easy project.
2. There were only two people ahead of me when I paid. Today there were hundreds of locks changed in the past two weeks.
3. They have a list. I'm on it to be done on Wednesday. I'm not on the list at all. Mr. Dawkins has the list, not them so they don't know when mine will be done. Get your fucking stories straight. Jesus.

You better believe I called the main number (800ASKUSPS) to file a complaint. I tried to Atlanta Consumer Affairs Office for USPS but no one answers that number (404.765.7702 in case you live in Atlanta and have a complaint). The people at the 800 number were so friendly (hi Greg and Jason) but other than that the women I spoke to at my local office were RUDE, UNCARING and UNWILLING to do their jobs. They tried to dance around the subject because they had no answer. They wasted my time and then tried to turn the entire ordeal around on me. Because somehow it is my fault that a 5 minute project has not been completed 2 weeks after I shelled out $28.

You know Obama's whole Keep America Working Initiative? How bout Georgia apply that money to the fucking USPS? Because god knows they could use some help improving their attitudes and service. Our local offices never have more than one person working the counter so you're there for an hour to send a damn 2 lb package. They are rude on the phone and in person. They overcharge for services and then take FOREVER to get them done. Clearly, they are short staffed and maybe hiring some people there will solve this issue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the post office makes me want to get really drunk. i hate that place, therefore i never go to it.