Thursday, March 11, 2010

Progress!

So far, I have lost 10 lbs during this trek to get fit. While weight loss is not the ultimate goal, it certainly is something I pay close attention to with daily weigh ins to give me an idea of how various exercise and food is affecting my body. I can definitely feel a difference in my workouts as I can go farther, faster and longer than I could before. And muscles are slowly starting to peek out from beneath the fat. In fact, I went from squeezing into a size 12 and stretching the hell out of it in denial of the fact that I actually was a size 14 to comfortably wearing a size 10 in about 2 months time.

I feel much smarter about my choices. I’m less likely to beat myself up than I once was about overindulging or sleeping in instead of hitting the gym. Of course, that could be because for two months that has rarely happened. This is the longest amount of time I have been consistent about working out. Some days I even do two a days!

But even with all that progress that I can personally see, I am essentially a vain creature and I need validation from other sources. One night I went out with friends and every guy I am friends with made a point to mention to me how great I looked that night. I know only a few of them had a clue how hard I was working to lose weight. The others genuinely thought I looked good that night. And a friend of mine who is exotically hot and just started working out herself mentioned how great I looked and what an inspiration I was in her own decision to get bikini ready.

But none of them compare to this morning when my gym crush stopped to talk to me on his way out the door. First off, he knew my name. I have never once mentioned it to him so someone had to have told him because Travis (the only other person I talk to at the gym) never actually says my name. Second, he made it a point to tell me how he could see my hard work was paying off and how this was the best he had seen me looking since I started at the gym. Ummmm HOLY SHIT HE NOTICES ME! Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! Anyway, there is absolutely nothing like someone attractive from the opposite sex complimenting you. It’s like a drug so you keep working hard in order to get more. You need that fix. While gym crush is in a monogamous relationship currently, I have hope that more attractive guys are going to start noticing what I’ve got going on!

2 comments:

TammyRunsWV said...

Congratulations!! I would kill to lose 10 pounds right now. My problem, until this week, haha, was that I had to will power to control my eating. I make the decision all the time to eat better, but for some reason the will power just hasn't been there. This week was a huge turnaround for me, so I'm hoping the weight will start to come off. There's nothing in the world that can compare when people compliment you on how great you look. I have forgotten what that's like, but I do remember! My friend posted a comment the other day that said "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". I thought that was so true. A couple months ago, I would've disagreed, lol. Keep up the good work! Hopefully, I will be writing about some compliments soon, haha.

Berryfine said...

I am the SAME WAY! Discipline and will power are the hardest part for me. I read your blog about ediets- I can't wait to see how it works out for you. I feel like I've been trying to lose weight for 4 years now but this is the first time I have been truly committed to it and I think it makes a huge difference. And not getting into ruts. If I'm bored that's when I stumble so I just change it up when I feel the control slipping :)