Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Body Hates Me

Okay, I know what some of you are going to say before I even type my post...my body doesn't hate me and if I treated it better I would get what I want out of it. Well, to that I say: I'M FUCKING TRYING. It's hard to break habits that I've had for 26 years. But I felt like I have been doing good until this past week.

Do you ever feel like your body is working against you instead of with you?

That's how I'm feeling this week. And I know part of it is because I am asking more of my body than it is capable of giving and that if I would take better care of it then my body would be more efficient but the sad fact of the matter is no matter how efficient my body is there just are not enough hours in the day and so I will continue to ask more of my body than I reasonably should.

The past 7 days have been especially hard. Actually, since the time change I have been all out of whack. I try listening to my body, really, I do. But I'm in the middle of training and I know my mental capacity. If I start slacking or skipping out on workouts then I will eventually just quit altogether and that is something I am really trying to avoid. This is the longest single stretch of working out I have done- usually after 3-4 weeks of working out a week pops up where I just say...FUCK IT ALL. But this time I have been genuinely jazzed about my progress and have turned my am workouts into a routine.

And then my body just said too fucking bad. It started with my calves. God they kill on the first mile. And anyone who knows me knows that first mile is make or break for me. If I stop before it is completed, then I'm not finishing it. So I have to force myself to run that first mile before I can stretch and get back to it. Then this weekend I had trouble dragging my ass out of bed. I just did not want to get up and work out. Saturday I planned a 4 mile run and instead went back to bed. By the time I woke up, I had no time to go for the run because I had so much scheduled for the day. I ended up doing it Sunday but even Sunday I was dragging. Monday I hit snooze 5 times. WTF is going on? Normally, the alarm goes off and even if I'm sluggish I'm at least making a move (generally towards the bathroom but whatever). Yesterday on my easy twenty minute run, I started getting a twinge in my left shin. Just a small spot. Through the day I felt it when I walked around. This morning I threw some icy hot on it and forced a 4 mile run out but tomorrow will be cross training to give it a break. Some serious icing is going to be needed.

Then on Friday I had inexplicable pain in my chest...and by chest, I mean my...rack, boobs, breasts, tatas whatever you call them. For five days, even sitting has hurt. And running? HO.LY.SHIT. Shooting pain radiates from my nipples for the first 1/2 mile and then I don't know if my boobs go numb or my body gets used to the pain but I stop noticing it. Out. Of. Control.

Of course, there is a very simple explanation for all of this. Which I discovered this morning in the shower. I'm a woman. You can figure out the rest. How the fuck do you other women push through this week of a hell every month?!?!?!

No comments: