Monday, March 22, 2010

Erin Vs. Barbie

Okay, as most of you know, I have a dear friend Barbie( of Barbie Runs and @bamabarbie06 fame) who I like to consider my running companion. We both were into running and taking care of our bodies when we were younger. Then college and alcohol came along and after 4 years of college we were rather rudely dropped into the real world and forced to find our way. I wish I could say running helped me do that but in fact when Barbie and I met neither of us were running. We were working in separate offices for the same company and I was transferred into her office because I was unable to get along with the people in my other office. I like to think we were fast friends though I don't think I realized what a big role she would play in the past year until I was fired from my job.

If you've ever met us, or even one of us, you know we have big personalities. We went to SEC schools and love our football. We work hard but know how to have a good time. While we shared an office, I signed up for my first half marathon. About half way through half assing my training Barbie signed up for hers. I like to think I put the idea in her head but it was a combination of life and friends and family that got us to sign up. We each had our charity and I'm not going to lie, neither of us was very good at this whole running thing. Barbie threw herself into it with gusto- she found gear and websites and made friends in the community. I was more a I RUN BY MYSELF kind of person. Translation, I'm not running as much as I should and I don't want anyone to know it.

Barbie has set some huge goals that I know I will not be getting near. For example, 26.2? I don't think so kiddo. I am a short distance kind of gal. 13.1 is a fucking haul for me. I really enjoy 5 and 10Ks. Barbie doesn't think they are challenging enough anymore. Well, the 5 K anyway. She'll still do one with me if I pick it but she is not seeking them out.

So, Sunday, Barbie seriously kicked some ass in the ING half marathon. I don't want to touch one until the Boston 13.1. What killed me, and kicked up my competitive nature, was that Barbie PRed by NINETEEN (19!!!!) minutes. In the fucking rain. She beat my half time by about three minutes and suddenly I'm at war with her. If she can knock 19 minutes off with LITTLE, to NO, training (and I am not exaggerating there) then I should be able to do it. I will run under 2 hours and 30 minutes. Suddenly I'm wanting to run 2 hours and 10 minutes. That might be a little over ambitious but damn, I run like crazy so if I don't see the kind of improvement Barbie did I will be CRUSHED. Crushed, I tell you.

I know it should be about personal bests and blah blah blah but you know when you see someone do so well you cannot help but be jealous. Sooo...move over gym hottie I've got a new motivation in town and her name is Barbie :)

***Discalimer: Barbie knows I adore her and I'm proud of her accomplishments so please don't get your compression shorts in a wad because I enjoy beating her. I enjoy beating myself as well.

2 comments:

...Barbie... said...

this could be one of the best and funniest blog entries ever. erin shut the hell up you're gonna rock your half you have worked way too hard already not to. ....but then that means when I run rock and roll VA Beach I am gonna have to beat your time. Oh the endless cycle!

Tristen said...

This could get really entertaining! I love friendly competition and I may just have to follow this one. ;-)