Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wig Out Wednesday

As my few readers know, I am currently on the job hunt. While I am employed, the job is pretty deadend not to mention…nevermind. Don’t speak ill of a job you currently hold. Or even one you used to work in for that matter. Looks bad.

Let’s start over, shall we? I currently work in a job that I love but has no room for advancement. Because this is an issue for me as I am looking for a career and not just a job, I am currently putting feelers out there for a new opportunity. I have interviewed with a few places and every time I get the following response (and I mean, EVERY time people)…

“We love, love, love your personality and enthusiasm. You have great energy. Unfortunately, you don’t have the experience we’re looking for at this time.”

Really?

Look, I used to be a recruiter. I understand sometimes you need to ask clarifying questions but can you not do those things over the phone? I really don’t make a ton of money and it’s not a lot of fun to think up excuses to leave work and drive 30 minutes to a job interview that I never had a shot at anyway. You have my resume in front of you so you know what I have done in the past. Why waste my time, and more importantly yours, when you could be interviewing one of the 10 % of the unemployed population of Atlanta. Someone who has the experience clearly listed on their resume?

Furthermore, how the hell does one gain experience in an industry if none of you people are willing to give the inexperienced a chance? If I only did jobs I have experience in, then I would be stuck applying for jobs interviewing teen celebrities, organizing closets, making sandwiches, ringing up orders, routing products and counting shit, booking appointments, recruiting temporary staff or medical billing. If I liked doing those things, I’d probably be applying to Twist, Panera, Quizno’s, STA, Phillips Wellness Center, TRC or Trillium Group…oh wait, there’s my resume. Guess that won’t work.

The last interview I had consisted of a woman asking questions from a steno pad. Afterwards she told me “You’re awesome.”

A week later she called to tell me they went with another candidate and that “You should really just drop the professional job and look into doing standup or something along those lines.”

Well, if that was so damn easy, wouldn’t I be doing that by now?

No comments: