Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Back to the Basics

Ever since I went home to Jersey to help care for my grandmother I have fallen off the healthy wagon. Tomorrow I am starting anew and I'm pretty nervous about it when I recall how long it took me to even get remotely healthy. I am in no way a healthy person because I like shit food wayyy too much to ever be that healthy. I like booze a lot too. Put me in a group of friends and have shitty food and ice cold brews and I completely forget why I was avoiding all three of those things in the first place.

Well, it's time to buck up and get it together. I started by going shopping today. With my limited funds I bought some lean cuisines, some strawberries, bananas, cucumber, tomato, milk, granola, yogurt and turkey. Also, I picked up my fish oil supplement. I know the lean cuisines aren't the greatest choice but over the next few weeks, I'm simply too busy to guarantee I will have time to cook or even want to cook. For now, I'm going to phase back into my cooking after I relocate to my new apartment. Since I don't plan on spending much time in the kitchen in the next few weeks, I've packed it up. So cooking starts back up the second week of August.

My goal this week is to get back to taking my vitamins. Right now, I take a multivitamin, fish oil, potassium, vitamin b-12 and vitamin d. On a side note, I really need to purchase a pill box- like the MTWTFSS ones. Like my gramps has. ANYWAY...


  • Right now, One a Day Women's multivitamin is my multivitamin of choice. Multivitamins are great for everyone because most of us are on the go. Our diets aren't as balanced and nutritious as we hope even with all our efforts. A multivitamin (like a healthy diet) will boosts your physical and mental health and well-being.
  • Fish Oil. I tried flaxseed but the taste is AWFUL. I don't care who you are. Fish oil is thought to help in reducing the risk of heart attack and coronary heart disease to combating depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. My blood pressure has been elevated in the past so this seemed like a good option to help regulate it. I want to avoid medication if possible.
  • On the advice of my personal trainer, I added potassium to my regimin. Potassium also helps regulate heart health as well as nerve health. Potassium is GREAT for runners because it is an electrolyte that helps regulate water balance and assists in recuperation of the body.
  • Vitamin D. This helps maintain bone health.The major biologic function of vitamin D is to maintain normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorus. Vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium, helping to form and maintain strong bones. Recently, research also suggests vitamin D may provide protection from osteoporosis, hypertension (high blood pressure), cancer, and several autoimmune diseases.
  • Vitamin B-12. I need energy. I am definitely not sleeping enough but I'm working on it. My metabolism (as does everyones as we age) is slowing down so I need the boost. That's where B-12 comes in. B-12 also helps maintain strong red blood cells as well.

So, tell me, what vitamins or supplements have you made a part of your diet? How have they affected you? Good or bad, I want to hear more!

*You can learn more about vitamins at http://www.vitamin-nutrition.org. Always make sure you consult a physician before you start supplementing your diet!

4 comments:

inspiREDtorun13 said...

Ahhh yes. The "I need to buy some healthy food on a limited budget grocery shopping trip." I know it well. Usually because I realize I have nothing fresh.

Sounds like you're doing a good job!

Berryfine said...

I'm skipping the fresh veggies and crap right now because I KNOW I won't have the time or energy to use them. Protein shakes will be my friend and lean cuisines as much as I hate that!

LB said...

ahhh, i think we are sister...pass the chips and beer...pronto!!! not only have i not run in a week now, but i have been eating total crap too....well even more crap than usual. pull me up on that healthy band wagon you are riding. i take a prenatal vit (for the extra iron...NO preggos here!!!) and vit D because i was severely deficient last year, i think i take 1000IUs now since getting my levels back up to normal. i need to take fish oil again but hate the fish burpies!!! i cant really "tell" a difference, but i know i need them because fruits and vegetables are few and far between at my table. hope we both find our healthy mojo soon!!!!

Berryfine said...

Haha omg, I just put your motivation post on my favorites section- click up top :)