Thursday, July 15, 2010

Atlanta Trying to Extend Drinking Hours

For those of you concerned I would have nothing to talk about on this Thirsty Thursday after my post about Eyeballing Vodka (if anyone knows someone who has done this...hook me up. I'd like to speak with them). Have no fear, Atlanta has helped me out with this tidbit of legislation on the move.

First, let me say, if you extend the drinking hours I might seriously DIE. There is a reason I have a gameplan to move to Vegas if I get diagnosed with a terminal illness and that reason is I will die within 365 days of moving there. There is a reason that GA-FL only happens once a year. There is a reason that I simultaneously cheer and jeer at night games during football season. That reason is...there is too much time to drink myself into a black hole. I'm not in college anymore people. Since turning 26 my body has made that abundantly clear with more frequent blackouts, lower tolerance and the overall hungover feeling that permeates my life for several days after binge drinking into the wee hours.

Second, how bout we work on selling booze on Sunday Funday before we work on extending the hours we can drink. Why can't I pick up a fucking 6 pack on my way to the lake? Why do I have to plan my sunday booze activities before Sunday rolls around to ensure I have supplies?
The fact is if you're drinking that late, you probably don't need to be out in public anyway. You're making an ass of yourself and should probably stick to spilling more beer than you drink during a flip cup game at someone's house.


“I am not a person who hangs out until 4 a.m. but I know plenty of people who do, and I think it would be good for the bars,” Sites-Bowen said. “With the downturn in the economy, bars need to be open longer. Alcohol, for a lot of these businesses, means a great source of revenue.”

Can we be real here for a minute? Extending the hours on Saturday to 3 am is not going to net a bar THAT much more money. Now Friday night's 4 am closing time might be worth it. Also, how unhappy are these employees going to be.
And who the hell goes out in the Englewood/Auburn area? I don't even know where that is.
Furthermore, bars have been closing at 2:30 am since 2003 when Atlanta decided our nightlife was out of control (my uncle was witness to a shooting at a Buckhead bar and still finds it unbelievable that I go out there). You really think Atlanta has matured that much in the past 6 years that we can suddenly handle that extra hour and a half? And think of the cops you'd have to have in the area. This whole plan does not sound very well thought out despite claims that the tax base would increase.



Edgewood still hardly resembles Midtown, Atlantic Station and Buckhead in their heyday. For every open establishment, there probably are five boarded-up ones, which Hall points to as potential businesses if his plan goes into effect.

Hate to break it to you, but this description of the locale hardly has me ready to hit the town in this area. Even if I wanted that extra drinking time, it seems like a scary area to be boozing in.

What do you think? Will you be hitting up Englewood/Auburn hotspots like Rolling Bones BBQ, Pal's Lounge and Black Lion Cafe if they extend the hours?

No comments: