Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ohhhhh Needs...Wants...Whatever

Cravings.

Everyone has them. Lately, mine has been for Diet Coke. Like I'm in the desert and I need the last drop of water or I will just DIE. Except I need Diet Coke. I have no idea why I want it so bad. But I try to stay away from it and I want it more. Then I end up spending 75 cents at a damn vending machine for a can that is not worth that but damn...when it hits your lips...whoa....so good.

The thing is...I'm scared of Diet Coke. And not just because it makes me bloated.

ASPARTAME.

Even the name sounds scary, right? What is it? Well, its the fake surgar shit they pump into the drink to make it so damn delicious. Also known as the methyl ester of a phenylalanine/aspartic acid dipeptide. So I decided to look it up. Because people were making me feel like I might die from drinking Diet Coke (dude, this is not the same as TAB people).

According to Wikipedia:

The artificial sweetener aspartame has been the subject of several controversies and hoaxes since its initial approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1974. Critics allege that conflicts of interest marred the FDA's approval of aspartame, question the quality of the initial research supporting its safety,[40][41][42] and postulate that numerous health risks may be associated with aspartame.

The validity of these claims has been examined and dismissed.[43][44][45] In 1987, the U.S. Government Accountability Office concluded that the food additive approval process had been followed properly for aspartame.[40][46] Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide,[47][48] with FDA officials describing aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut".[49] The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener.[3]


So those rumors about aspartame being to blame for multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, and methanol toxicity, causing "blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects" and death? Supposedly not true BUT the British government just launched a new study because people were claiming to have side effects from ingesting it. My question is how much fucking aspartame were they ingesting? I mean is a Diet Coke a day going to give me an inoperable brain tumor or the best fucking day of my life?

More links if you're interested and can read that scientific shit.

So, do you have things you just have to have? Have you ever looked up ingredients and stopped eating or drinking something because of something you learned?

5 comments:

Tanya said...

I know longer eat Pringles. I found out they had MSG in them. I blamed the MSG on the reason as to why I would sit down to eat a couple and end up eating the whole damn can. Turns out I am not crazy. The low fat Pringles don't have the MSG, and low and behold, I can eat a serving of them and stop. Thank god for Self. I never would have known the secret name it has on ingredient lists.

Adam said...

I did a bunch of research on this a while ago too.... I found that the recommended allowance of aspartame is like 12 diet cokes per day. So, as long as you are under that, you are good!

Mama on the Run said...

Good info...thanks. My hubby's recently been harping me about all of the bad effects from diet coke (r/t the aspartame). I'm a 1-2 a dayer, not 12!! So I think I'll be OK.

inspiREDtorun13 said...

I LOVE DIET COKE. I actually didn't drink soda from my freshman year of high school to senior year of college. Isn't that crazy?

I pretty much have one diet soda a day. So I don't think it's that bad. But if I'm stressed I reach for diet coke. Out of the can if possible. It's weird. But at the same time I'm glad to say my go to drink is non-alcoholic. And probably a lot better than most peoples comfort foods.

Berryfine said...

Diet Coke in a can is better than anything in the world. Seriously, so cold and crisp. Ahhh I want one right now.