Thursday, July 15, 2010

Move of the Week

Cassandra is the devil. I alternately love and hate her on a given day. The worst is always the day after I work out with her. Good Lord, I'm cursing her like she beat me with a whip or something. Anyway, today she was nice enough to tell me that despite all my bitching and moaning she is always impressed with my will to get it done. I give everything I have out there. Sometimes if I know I could have done a rep better, I ask her not to count it so I can do another one and do it right. As Cassandra always says "Last one, Best one". It's a goal I look to every time I work out with her. If you can put forth that much effort on the last round or last rep then you know you are working it. So, I thought to myself I might like to share some of the moves she has me do.

Today, we did side squats up and down a basketball court (3 times since we did 3 rotations), weighted squats on some crazy ass machine with my legs together, planks, crunches with a 10 lb weight, some rise from the knees to stand and press your arm up thing, and jump squats. The move that I shook during is one I will try to do more often so I'm calling it the move of the week.

Everyone has done some form of planks but this one was harder than any I've ever done on my own or in a class. Cassandra had me get on my hands and toes with a wide stance for both. Then she had me lower into pushup position (arms bent) and hold it for 10 seconds. She had me raise back up so that my arms were straight and hold that for 10 seconds. Then drop back down into push up position for 10 seconds. And back up. I think she would have liked me to do more but I was shaking and considering I would be doing it three times during the rotation, she decided 40 seconds was long enough.

The great thing is it worked my core (abs and back), my chest and my shoulders as well as my bum and legs. It is a total body move and will help me with other moves. I'm going to try to do it on days I don't meet with Cassandra so that the next time I have to do it I can go longer and do more! Try it out and let me know what you think!

* sorry for the lack of photos but my camera broke!

1 comment:

inspiREDtorun13 said...

Is it bad that this sounds absolutely miserable to me?

For some reason I think running long distances is fun. I like aerobics, cycle, and yoga. That plankity thing...I'll run 8 miles instead thanks. I realize I'm not the majority. Impressive you do it all!