Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Life in Shambles Takes the Wonderlic!


So, as my loyal 10 or so readers know, I am currently on the job hunt (if you are in the Atlanta area and stumble upon this blog and are hiring- well, if you're goal is to get a slightly overweight but mildly attractive girl who likes to party, talk shit, write, read and general entertain the masses...well, I'm that girl. Call me). The latest place to interview me called me in for a job and bluntly told me:


You are not qualified for the job on that piece of paper. In no way. At all.


She brought me in as a favor to a friend of ours and I appreciated her honesty. Honestly. Then I got an email from her with a link to take the Wonderlic and was confused. But I took it. On a Friday. After 8+ hours of work. So, I'm thinking the score wasn't too great.


What's the Wonderlic?


Well, its an exam of 50 questions. The amount of time alotted to take it varies from 8 minutes to 12 minutes and it measures your ability to learn. I'm here to tell you the questions are fucking EASY but...and it's a BIG BUT (as opposed to BUTT) the fact that you have a limited amount of time to take it makes it seem harder than it is. In fact, it's kind of stressful. So it also kind of tests your ability to work under pressure.


Sample questions include:

You bought 8 pens for $2.50. How much would 2 dozen cost you?

Which of these words don't belong with the other: cat dog frog turtle tree (okay, I made that one up but you get my point)

Which of these groups don't have a pair within them?

01234 01234

45678 45678

9123 9123

45687 46587

25896 258696


According to Wikipedia (which I only trust about 40% of the time but whatever) 20 is the average score for intelligence. The score is calculated by the number of correct answers given in the alloted time. Wiki says its a 12 minute test but I'm here to tell you that I was given 8 minutes so clearly there are different versions. The test questions go back and forth between math and language so that you are constantly switching gears.


My goal in taking this test (aside from impressing the hiring manager) was to beat Tim Tebow and his score of 22. If I was dumber than him...well, I'd have to kill myself. Ideally, I wanted to score better than Matt Stafford and his 38. The woman didn't give me my score but she did mention my cognitive skills were impressive so I must have done well despite only answering a little over half the questions. The problem was for every math question, I was writing out the formulas and then checking my work (I'm terrible at math and they say no calculators. I'm not cheater y'all). Journalists typically make a 26 on the test so I'm hoping I was at least that, if not higher. The word IMPRESSIVE makes me think higher but you never know.


If you are thinking you may have to take the Wonderlic in the future, check out this site for some practice. Wish I had thought of that before I took it.

No comments: