Friday, September 24, 2010

I LOVE Trader Joe's

So...I've been suuuuuupppperrrrr unhealthy this week (where the FUCK are you motivation?!?!?!). Yesterday after work, I decided I would walk to the library and get my new library card (yes, I am a dork) and then over to Trader Joe's for some grocery shopping. It's really hard to be healthy when you have no food in the house and you wait till your starving to make a food decision. Don't believe me? Here's yesterday's food diary:
  • Breakfast: Everything bagel slathered with sundried tomato cream cheese and a diet coke (out of the can, from the vending machine. Best damn thing in the world).
  • Lunch: Arby's Turkey Bacon Ranch with curly fries and Sierra Mist (We live in Atlanta, Arbys is based in Atlanta, Coca-Cola is based in Atlanta, and yet Arbys insists on providing its customers with fucking pepsi products. Sorry Pepsi, it ain't my bag).
  • Snack: Mini Mint Ice Cream Mouthfuls (purchased at Trader Joes because it said Mouthful. I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy).
  • Dinner: Holy Guacamole (a delicious bowl of cheese dip with a glob of guac and salsa and a side of chips), Trailer Park Taco (fired chicken with awesome shit I can't remember in a corn tortilla) and TWO pomegranate margaritas (of which I would have continued drinking BUT they were 8 bucks a pop). Where did this mouth orgy occur? Cantina in Buckhead.

Clearly, I need to stock up on groceries (in my defense dinner was because my BFF Ally came into town and we needed to grab a bite together. Nothing is better than friendship and Mexican my friends). So, onto my love for Trader Joe's. Even when you buy something that's not so great for you (Mini Mouthfuls) you don't feel too bad about it. I have this false sense of health when I walk into that store. Also, I never thought I would say this but the limited options are actually HELPFUL because you don't have a choice to be obscenely unhealthy when you make decisions (ummm 2 containers of Ben and Jerry's what?!!?). Also, its walking distance to my apartment so thats a plus. And the cost cannot be beat- for the low price of $36 I got the following:

  1. Trader Joe's reusable bag to carry my goods in (only a buck! and prettier than Kroger, Publix and Walmart).
  2. Bananas ($.19 per banana what?!?!?!)
  3. Strawberries
  4. Turkey
  5. Turkey Burgers
  6. Pita Bread
  7. Hummus
  8. Feta Cheese
  9. Simpler Times Beer ($3.49 for 6- a pilsner. I'll let you know if its any good)
  10. Riesling ($3.99. Two Buck Chuck doesn't make a Riesling. Bastard)
  11. Mini Mint Icecream Mouthfuls
  12. Spinach
  13. Two dark chocolate candy bars (apparently dark chocolate is good for you. Don't judge me. And it was $.49 a pop so I couldn't resist. Total impulse buy)

So, I'm pretty new to the whole organic, healthy, whatever food and Trader Joe's. If you have any recommendations of products I should try, leave them in the comments section. I'll pick them up and give 'em a review for ya!Also, only Courtney gave me songs to run to yesterday :( They were great but I felt unloved!

8 comments:

Tanya said...

I absolutely adore their orange chicken and their ginger snaps. They are a must have whenever I go there. I am feeling the Trader Joe's love right there with you. I'm jealous you have one right by where you live.

Kovas said...

Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds! If they have the dried mangosteens, try them they are awesome.

Berryfine said...

Thanks guys! Such quick responses!

Fruit Fly said...

I have no suggestions because I eat like a total kid. I could live off of grilled cheese sandwiches and French fries. Oh cheese pizza and French fries.

These mouthfuls sound delicious!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

I really like the idea of posting your list of what you came home with!

Ok, so my bf and I are reading about eating for your blood type. Have you ever looked at that? http://www.livestrong.com/blood-types/

Berryfine said...

Fruitfly- I do too which is why my weight is currently ballooning back up. Oh an french fries are my total downfall. LOVE. French fries on a menu will keep me from getting a salad at a restuarant! haha

Courtney, I haven't but I'm going to do some reading this weekend at your suggestion!

Adam said...

I could pretty much live on that turkey bacon ranch from arbys.

Berryfine said...

Adam- AGREED! I'd also weigh 500 lbs because I dont have your metabolism.