Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Daily Weighins?

If only the scale told me what to eat.


How often do you weigh yourself?

I ask this because I weigh myself on a daily basis and people are always appalled by this. Reactions vary from “Wow, you’re anal” to ohmygodshehasaneatingdisorderwhoamigoingtotell?

Here’s why I do it I used to weigh 175 lbs at my heaviest. To get there I wasn’t weighing myself at all (clearly) nor was I using my clothing as an indicator of my weight gain. In fact, I just bought new clothes anytime an event came up so I didn’t have to worry about mine no longer fitting. Why wasn’t the size I was buying an indicator? Because like He’s Just Not That Into You I made excuses for my clothes.

Oh the sizes here run small.

Oh it’s the cut of this design.

Oh it’s just because this fabric is so revealing I have to go up a size.

I would go through health kicks that generally lasted a month or two during which I would weigh in once a week and write the weight down.

Then I would bounce right back to 175.

Weighing myself daily holds ME accountable for MY actions. Like keeping a training log, keeping track of my weight allows me to see what works and what doesn’t. It’s a good measure of my life. Weight goes hand in hand not only with what you’re eating but also with how much sleep you’re getting, if you’re exercising and whether you are stressed or not. So, to me, when I get up in the morning and weigh myself I am seeing a true indication of where I am at currently. Before the day has begun and I’ve eaten or worked out or even had time to stress about something, I can see how I’m feeling.

The past two weeks have been stressful and I’ve abandoned my weigh ins. I’m back up to 157 because of it (and the eating and exercise, too). This morning I woke up weighed myself, went on a run, came home and showered and turned on the TV. Dr. Oz was on and he gave 4 tips for easing off 10 lbs. One of which was to weigh in daily! He said you needed to do this so you can pat yourself on the back when you’re doing well and see when you are doing wrong and make the change.



Tell me, what are your thoughts? I know this isn’t for everyone but I’ve found it works for me personally along with how far or how fast I’m running and a number of other metrics. It’s one of the tools I utilize to keep myself on track. Do you weigh yourself at all or use another method to gauge where you are at?

7 comments:

Kovas said...

I weigh myself weekly, but it's whatever works for you. If the weekly doesn't work, I'll try daily. By far the best thing I have done recently is to track calories - it's addictive and it really makes you make food choices.

...Barbie... said...

i weigh myself daily. and each weight in the morning tells me how much i can or cannot eat -- hey i gotta be pretty on my wedding day. i think you have to weigh yourself to stay accountable.

Fruit Fly said...

For a while I was weighing daily - if not multiple times a day. I think I went so over-board that I just threw my scale in the garbage. Since then I've bought myself a newer, fancier digital one so I couldn't cheat it at all. I was trying to just weigh myself once a week, but after reading this I think I might go back to once a day - or maybe every other day.
~RR

Andrew Opala said...

I actually weigh myself about once every three months - and then I usually get it wrong ... I can stand this way or hold my hands that way and vary the weight on either side by 3 or 4 pounds.

I tend to measure based on belt-buckle.

http://runningmanwannabe.blogspot.com/2010/08/bulletin-of-belt-jamooshs-thrilling.html

Her Name Is Rio said...

I weight myself once a week because the fluctuations stress me out a bit. It's great you found daily weigh ins work for you, though! Maybe I'll give it another try. :)

Adam said...

So, I'll be "that guy". I totally weigh myself nearly every day that I am at home. It is just sitting right there and I am a numbers guy (digital scale).

I normally do it naked, does that give me any more of my man cards back?

Ellen said...

Do what works for you...at least you know what that is. I'm still trying to figure it out! I go through phases when I weigh myself daily, sometimes twice a daily, and then not at all. I think it's been a few weeks since I weighed myself, and for some reason I'm not freaking out about it!

http://www.firednfabulous.com/