Thursday, September 9, 2010

What the Fuck is Up With...


Running on the STREET?


Now, as most of you know, up until I moved ITP (Inside the Perimeter) of ATL (Atlanta), I was running on a treadmill and getting an eyeful of gym crush every morning at 5 am (Oh boy how I miss him so. Seriously. If I could get a new job that paid lots I would drive 30 minutes in the morning to work out just to see a glimpse of him). Anyway, since moving, I have had to move my runs outdoors. And I have noticed an alarming trend. Or maybe just alarming to me.

You tell me.

This morning is really what got me thinking on this though I have noticed it over the last few weeks a number of times and given it a passing thought along my route. You see, this morning, on the other side of a SIX (6) lane road, I spotted a woman dressed in black from the top of her head (hat) to the tips of her toes (shoes) and everything between (tights and tank top). Now aside from the fact that homegirl had a BANGING body, I thought to myself...

It cannot be safe to be running on Peachtree Road in Buckhead at 5 am wearing all black in the street going against traffic. (Sounds like the old line my dad uses "...walked uphill both ways barefoot in the snow in june with my brother on my back carrying my books....")

I know, it's 5 am. I know, traffic is lighter at this time. But can we be serious for a moment? THAT SHIT IS DANGEROUS and I WOULD HATE TO SEE HOMEGIRL GET HIT (though secretly I would think let that be a lesson to you, my friend). There are sidewalks in Atlanta. In fact, I was running on one on the other side of the road so I know they are there to be used.

My question is, why are so many runners out pounding the pavement literally in the street when there are sidewalks? I see this at all hours of the day. Some run with traffic, some against it. But I'm not getting it. Are they trying to replicate what a race feels like by running in the streets they would race on? Is there something wrong with the sidewalks that I'm too dense to notice? Is this what real runners do while pansy runners like myself plod along the sidewalk?

12 comments:

Teamarcia said...

I avoid busy streets at all costs. I stay deep in rocks on the shoulder when I have to be roadside. And black? No way at that hour.

Michelle said...

Yeah I've seen runners do it too and I don't get it. I mean I know that the asphalt of the road is a little softer than the concrete of the pavement - but my attitude is safety first! And most drivers are just not paying attention so why risk it?!

Berryfine said...

Teamarcia- I avoid busy streets for the most part but at 5 am the roads around my apt aren't well lit and the busy road up the way is very well lit. To me, that makes more sense. I prefer the streets of the hood, though :)

Michelle, I agree. WHY RISK IT...especially in Atlanta!

Kovas said...

I had this same question! From what little research I've done, it appears that most people believe that running on the moderately less hard surface is worth getting hit by a car. Not a worthwhile tradeoff in my mind. you want a softer surface? Run on the parkway or find a trail.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

No sidewalks here. I run the road, the trail the field...

5 a.m. and all black is dangerous enough! Obviously runner girl has worked on her bod and not her brain.

...Barbie... said...

I was told by my sports massage guy that running on the sidewalk is harder on your joints than on the asphalt. And I know you're supposed to run into traffic, not with it. That way both you and the driver can see each other. with that said, i do not run in the road on peachtree but do on every other one of my running routes.

Andrew Opala said...

I run on roads - but it's residential and reasonably bright.

Tough to say what's good for the neighborhood you run in.

Fruit Fly said...

If I'm on a major street I hug the edge of the sidewalk as far away from the street as I can get! Normally I do run in the street, but that is because our neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks. Fortunately when I run nobody is out and the streets are quiet, so I generally run facing oncoming traffic - in their "lane" --- we have no lines either. I think I lucked out with the laid back neighborhood because so far I haven't had a problem and have the roads to myself!

Adam said...

Yeah, I think Barbie has the answer. the conventional wisdom is that it is "softer" than the sidewalks. BUT,

1. That is dumb, the compression rates of each are very similar
2. The front of a car is pretty hard against your head too

judy said...

This is so interesting to me because I have been running on roads against traffic for over twenty years now. If there are sidewalks available (and in good condition) I use them, but they are a rare find here in rural New England. I run against traffic so I can monitor oncoming traffic to make sure THEY see ME. I always wear a neon color, but I have still needed to duck into the bushes a few times because a driver is on his/her cell and not paying attention. I agree wearing black is stupid:)

jess said...

I have always ran on the road, unless there is a nice sidewalk available; and I mean nice without cracks that I can trip over and holes missing from the sidewalk.
Even when the road is busy and the sidewalks are crappy I will venture on the road; when this happens I will take the headphones out of my ears and make sure I 'eye' every driver. If I know what they are doing, I can avoid at all means of being hit.

She has a good idea, but wearing black is stupid..

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

I never run on a sidewalk if I can avoid it. I battled shin splints for almost 2 years and I feel a noticeable difference on asphalt.

The only times I will run on the sidewalk is:
1) When the street is simply unsafe.
2) When the slant of the street is so severe that it puts undue stress on my right leg.

That said, it's ALWAYS against traffic, ALWAYS with a Road ID, and if it's dark, ALWAYS with a flashing LED light.
My coach always says "NEVER ASSUME THAT THE CAR SEES YOU."