Thursday, September 23, 2010

Misery

"For example, a 2010 study by Samuele Marcora, an exercise physiologist at England's Bangor University, provides compelling evidence that perception of effort- basically, feeling miserable- is the true cause of fatigue in endurance events, not physiological limitations, as previously believed. Other recent studies have shown that not only does feeling lousy cause fatigue but that athletes' tolerance for suffering is trainable. Thus, increasing our tolerance for suffering should be a primary objective in the pursuit of better performance through training, not a secondary consideration as it is for most runners."
Matt Fitzgerald, Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel
Well that would explain my seeming inability to run yesterday. After a mile my calves were screaming and I just couldn't focus on anything but that. This is an excerpt from a book I won from Runner Dude. The author selected my question for which I asked about said calves, strangely enough. This was MONTHS ago and I had completely forgotten it. But I was pretty excited to win something as its been a while. Plus, I have actually NEVER read a running book! So I'll probably be hitting you all up with some newfound knowledge as I get going on this:)
In other news, I need some motivation- I thought I found it at the bottom of this pint of ice cream I was completely disgusted with myself for eating (you know you have a problem when you can't decide on a flavor at Kroger so you buy two flavors despite being broke). If any of you have some nuggets of wisdom to get me back in the right direction, I am BEGGING. The problem is, when I fall off the wagon of healthy living...I fall hard and take forever to get back up. By the time I manage to shakily climb to my feet the wagon is 20 miles down the road and I'm tripping as I try to catch up. And I think the first thing I need is a super fantastic playlist so if you've got some great songs that get you going, please tell me!

5 comments:

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

*hid them

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

Oh man, I could have written this post myself!
First, I TOTALLY agree about perceived effort. In the last 3 miles of my first half marathon, I was miserable and literally crying. When I did a physical inventory of my body, and realized that nothing was hurting, I picked it up and was able to finish strong!

As far as the food, I'm motivated by feeling disgusted with myself too. For me, it's usually a package of Oreos. I bought some yesterday and hit them from my boyfriend so he wouldn't see how many I had eaten.
I don't have any advice here, but wanted to say I'm in the same boat!

Ok, songs...Here are a few from my "Run Fast" playlist...
Galvanize - Chemical Brothers
Stronger - Kanye West
Fighter - Christina Aguilera
Wild at Heart - Gloriana
If You're Going Through Hell - Rodney Adkins
I Like It - Enrique
Four Minutes - JT featuring Madonna
Gunpowder & Lead - Miranda Lambert

Berryfine said...

Hahahaha Oh Courtney it's like we're the same person (minus the fact that you have a boyfriend). I have all those songs on my iPod and a few on my run playlist :)

Andrew Opala said...

congrats on the win - and this means that not running is all in your head! So make me run faster dude, if it's all in YOUR head!

Adam said...

Wow, runner dude has a TON of people enter his contests. You're on a ROLL!

That is interesting about the fact that it is basically all in your (our) heads. I mean, we all knew it but I'd be interested in knowing some actual data behind it.