Thursday, February 25, 2010

Table Topic Thursday

Okay this wasn't to originally be the idea for Thursdays but considering my first idea was Thirsty Thursday and I've virtually cut the thirsty part of Thursday out of my life for now it didn't seem appropriate. So, my friend, Kyle, got me this cool block for my birthday. Inside, there are tons of random questions to get conversations started so I thought once a week I might answer. It just so happens that Table Topic alliterates well with Thursday and there is a gaping hole in Thursday so here goes!


what do you wish you were better at saying "no" to?


This one is so easy to answer it is ridiculous. There is actually more than one answer but the most obvious and entertaining one is simple: I wish I were better at saying no to weddings. Something about a blushing bride to be asking me to partake in her special moment just takes me from "HELL NO" to "OHMYGODYESIWOULDLOVETOBEINYOURWEDDING".


The truth of the matter is I hate weddings. I've only had a date to two weddings. One of them, I was in and his whole family was there so it wasn't like having a date. The other my date and I actually missed the ceremony but made it to the reception right as she was being introduced. Of course, I was so hammered on Vodka that I told her immediately that I had missed that special moment.


Why do I hate weddings? Well, I hate people asking where my boyfriend is or when I'm going to take the plunge. And I have such anxiety about the gift and what to wear when I'm not in it. When I am in it, I feel fat, frumpy and undeserving of the honor of helping the bride celebrate her beloved. And the dancing! Christ, I need a million drinks to feel comfortable out there and even then I don't really want to be doing it. I have no idea how to slow dance. Or fast either. I know it's stupid...but it's fact.


I've had red dresses, blue dresses, pink dresses... long dresses, short dresses...high heels...flats...big boquets....hair did, hair undone...make up...no make up. I've flown to weddings, driven to weddings. Big weddings and small weddings. And the fact is I don't hate them so much as worry about them. And why am I always one of the only single people there?


This year I have a wedding in April that I am actually super excited about because it's a lot of high school friends and fun people the couple has met since college. Plus the bride is super low key and picked out dresses and shoes we can actually wear again. Which is awesome. ANNDDD we're heading to Vegas. The second wedding I'm in is in November (during football season- bleh) for my best friend since I was 8. I'm excited about it but nervous because (per usual) I won't know anyone but a few assorted family members and the bride and groom. I guess I'll have to keep you posted on my behavior at those as past weddings have included me tailgating a dry wedding, sneaking booze in an oj bottle and saying it was for my diabetes, taking a bottle of tequila from the bar and doing shots in the corner, and various other embarrassing bits. Though I haven't had dirty wedding sex yet though so I guess that's something.


What about you, what's something you wish you could say no to?

No comments: