Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fruits and Veggies Pt 1

Okay, I think I am going to make some changes to the site though I am not sure what yet. Bear with me while I experiment. I do know that I will no longer subject you to my food diary because that is boring for you. It really just helps me out. I promise to share every juicy bite of forbidden hamburger and every orgasmic bite of ice cream but not on a daily basis (mainly because I hope to not be doing these things on a daily basis). And I may even do some taste testing. This blog is supposed to be for me and about me but, frankly, even I am kind of bored with it!

Today I thought I would focus on fruits and veggies because I NEED HELP. People, how on earth does one purchase and use veggies on a regular basis. I feel like they just drain my wallet. THEY. NEVER. KEEP. And quite honestly seeing my food before it is prepared is grossing me the fuck out. I know they are important to our diet and I definitely need more but I have no idea how to incorporate them into my diet in a fashion that is enjoyable to me. To say I hate veggies is to be putting it mildly.

Actually, I have gotten a little better at it but the times that I have experimented with my veggies have backfired enough and my funds are so limited that it seems better to me to stick to the safe bets of tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers. I know I like them. They look great in a salad. They taste good on their own. They work on sandwiches. And that's about it. But they aren't exciting me in any way. I'm ashamed to say, my knowledge of food is limited. Okay, I think I boast about it but the point is I'm asking for guidance.
So, I turned to my personal food bible (I know putting the word Bible on something not involving Jesus might offend some of you but I'm sorry you will just have to keep your personal beliefs to yourself. Everyone is different and that is that). Eat This, Not That Supermarket Survival Guide is one of my favorites so I think a few times a month I will share some awesome stuff I have gleaned from this helpful book. I like it because rather than telling me NO, it says well these are the better options and these are the worst. Now make your decision accordingly. Why am I bringing it up on my fruits and veggies blog? Well, because David Zinczenko very nicely helps me navigate the produce section. Do I get it? Of course not. But do I feel slightly more informed. YES. So, it's February and I thought I would help you (and myself by sharing with you) make some great decisions in the produce aisle by sharing Chapter 2 of the book!
apples
Who doesn't love apples? Seriously, there is a kind for everyone. My siblings and I had this discussion during a photo shoot at one point and all of us like a different type (I'm a red apple kind of person if you must know). Sometimes when I look at the apple barrel though I feel overwhelmed and frustrated by the options. When choosing an apple, go with a firm apple that is "heavy" for its size. Typically, smaller apples pack the most flavorful punch. Peak season begins in September and ends in May so not only will the apples be delicious during this time but the prices should be lower as well. Keep them in a plastic bag in your crisper where they will remain fresh for several weeks (whoops I have the plastic bag part down but not the crisper). Helps with heart health and cholesterol.



avocados
Avocados are not something I purchase or even eat regularly. Some people like guacamole. I am not one of those people. However, when I'm at a restaurant and they come on a sandwich I will sometimes leave them on the order. When they aren't oozing out the sides I can handle them. Diced in a cobb salad and mixed in with everything else I can tolerate them. When you pick them up at the grocery store you want to pick one that is firm to the touch. Steer clear of mushy spots and avocados that "rattle". Luckily, they are in season year round and they help lower cholesterol.

bananas
I love bananas. I try to eat one every morning before or after a workout. They are great drizzled with chocolate as a desert. I love them in my cheerios. They add a lot to a protein shake. And I can eat them all by themselves too. Bananas are ripe when they have uniform yellow skin with small brown freckles. If you like your bananas sweet, this is the time to pick them up. They are available year-round and should be stored on your counter, away from direct heat or sunlight if they are unripe. Ripened bananas can be stored in your fridge. Bananas contain B6. Which helps you think well and stuff.

broccoli
I wish I liked this stuff but there is something extremely unappealing about eating something that effectively resembles a bush. Not only that but they get stuck in your teeth. So, I won't be buying them but you might so here goes. Pick up broccoli that has rigid stems with floret clusters that are deep green or tinged purple. Peak season runs from October to May. They last a week in a plastic bag in your fridge. Apparently, I need to add these to my diet because they contain Sulforaphane which I shall henceforth call "Missile S" for it's seek and destroy properties. Eradicating cancerous cells one floret at a time.

cabbage
Also, not on my grocery list. The stench of cooked cabbage (thanks Mark) makes me want to vomit. But if you enjoy the stuff pick up tightly pack, crisp and deeply hued leaves. Peak season i year round (lucky you). Keep it in a tight plastic bag and store in the fridge. Should last you about ten days. 1 cup contains more than half your vitamin K requirement.
carrots
These are another one of those veggies that I don't buy but will take them on a menu item. I prefer them shaved over a salad if at all. Anyway, since they are year round I should really add them to my home menu. Pick up bright orange carrots that have bright green tops because they are your freshest bet. Store them in plastic in your crisper and you should get 3 weeks out of them. Eat carrots to help fight off infections.




celery

I have no idea why I don't eat more of these. I love celery. Especially with hot sauce. Someone remind me to pick that up next time I hit the grocery store. Anyway, celery is great year round and can be kept in your fridge for up to 2 weeks in a plastic bag. Be sure to pick up solid, tight stalks with few cracks and no yellowing leaves. The darker the celery, the stronger the flavor. Eat these to stave off future bouts with Alzheimer's.






garlic

If someone else cooks it, I eat it. But I don't buy this at all. Just adds to the complexity of cooking and since I have already lit my apt on fire I don't need anything to make it more difficult. Anyway, when shopping for these look for bulbs that feel heavy. They should have tightly closed cloves that remain firm when pressed (gently people!). They are in season all year. Be sure to keep them in a dark, well- ventilated place and they will last you a month. Apparently, it helps fight cancer and stomach ulcers.
grapefruit
Considering this is what most skinny bitches swear by for breakfast, this should be a staple on my grocery list. But it's not due to the simple fact that I don't have that special spoon with the groves that you need to eat them. Find heavy ones with thin skin. You want it to be slightly responsive to a squeeze. They peak from October to June and can be stored in the fridge for two to three weeks. 1 cup has 120% of your vitamin C needs and contains anticancer lycopene.
kale

Personally, I don't eat the shit and I don't understand why restaurants think it adds a damn thing to the aesthetic value of a dinner plate but apparently it must have some merit. Since it is in season year round I'm including it on here. Look for Kale that is a dark blue-green color with moist leaves (the book says jaunty as well which gave me a chuckle). Keep it in the fridge, tightly wrapped. Be sure to pierce the bag for ventilation and you should get 3 to 4 days out of it. Helps protect against vision loss. Damn, I should have been eating this at age 8.





leeks
I tried these for the first time at PF Changs and I don't know how they cook them but damn I liked them. Since I doubt I could recreate the delicious meal I've yet to purchase any but if you care to then they are peaking year round. Be sure to pick up leeks with green, crisp tops. The root should be white and unblemished. Wrap them loosely and keep them in the fridge for a week. Vitamins A, C and K as well as lutein and manganese can be found in them.


lemons
Year round. Do nothing for me except help with some of the most delicious shots I imbibe (example chocolate cake shot). You want bright colored lemons with smooth, thin skin. Keep them refrigerated for 2 weeks. Apparently, there is a possibility that they can help fight cancer.
lettuce: romaine


This is my favorite kind of bagged lettuce. I have never bought it fresh before. Whoops. If I was going to buy it properly, I would look for crisp leaves free of browning edges and rust spots. Romaine is awesome year-round and should be kept in plastic in the fridge. Lasts 5 to 7 days. Great for getting vitamin K into your diet which is good for bone health.



mushrooms
I'm pretty sure I liked these as a kid but I'm thinking a bad experience in college ruined them for me. If you are card-carrying mushroom fan (like my mom) then pick up firm caps that are not slimy or riddled with dark soft spots. They peak from November to April. Place them on a flat surface, cover with a damp paper towel and store in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Polysaccharides. Look up what that is because I'm too lazy to type it.




onions
Sometimes, I like these. Other times I cannot stand them. I know I'm weird but at least at times I ingest them. They are good year round so long as you pick ones that are nicely shaped with no swelling. Look for a dry, crisp outer skin. Keep them in a cool dark location away from potatoes for 3 to 4 weeks. Helps fight bone loss and cancer.





papayas
I have no idea if I like these. They seem super exotic which sounds fun at first but then not so fun. Whatever, pick up papayas that are beginning to turn yellow and have somewhat yielding flesh when lightly squeezed. Blotchy papayas usually have the most flavor. Be sure to eat ripe ones immediately or store in a fridge for up to three days. They are in season year round and include fiber and vitamins A, C, E and K.





pears
If you like pears, pick them up now because they peak from August to February. Look for some softness at the stem end. Skin should not have bruising but may be browning. Ripen them at room temperature and then stick them in the fridge. They contain fiber and vitamin C so long as you eat the skin.






I'll try to update this in a month with some more that are in season starting in March so you (and I) have more to choose from. Any suggestions on how to trick myself into eating veggies would be awesome so shoot them my way in the comments section!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Hey!! Just stumbled on your blog after reading about your 10K linked from Dailymile. First of all, awesome job on the 10K! I enjoyed reading about your race and I'm so glad you had such a good day. I also just enjoyed reading this posting..I love fruits and veggies and go through so many it is insane. I didn't always love them, but over time have just eased more and more into my diet. Anyway if I did my weekly grocery shopping at Kroger or Publix I would spend over $200. Instead I go to the Dekalb Farmers Market. Have you been there?? I fill my entire cart and even get some meat, dairy and fish and can get out of there in under $100. They also have the freshest and highest quality produce, meat and fish I have ever seen. The first trip there is extremely daunting as the place is usually packed to the gills full of people ramming their carts into the back of your legs but it's well worth the trip, even if you can just get there once a month and stock up on things that keep longer. Now, I'm off to properly stow away my veggies and fruit, as I'm sure I have not done it as advised in your post above!! great running in you 10k girl!

Berryfine said...

Haha sorry it took so long for me to see this comment! Thanks for the tip. I will try to make the Dekalb Farmer's market a goal to hit for April :)