Sunday, February 14, 2010

One week...OF RUNNING




So, as some of you may know, I am getting ready to begin training for my second 1/2 marathon with CCFA and Team Challenge. We are heading to Boston in June to run 13.1 miles to raise much needed funds and awareness for the 1.4 million people suffering from Crohn's and Colitis. You may wonder how I got into this or why I'm bringing this to your attention now but hold on to your pants, I'm getting to it.



When I was a kid, I vaguely recall my dad being pretty sick. I say vaguely because my parents divorced when I was five and I only saw him every other weekend if we were living in the same state at the time. My first vivid memory of his fight with Colitis is actually of the most major part of his disease. It was the summer time and I was probably 10 or 11 at the time. He lived in an apartment complex which in my mind was awesome because every other weekend we would go play tennis and hang out at the pool. My brother and I ate junk food and shared a water bed and generally were spoiled brats. I think a couple weekends in a row we didn't go over there but I thought it was due to softball scheduling. In reality, my dad was having a surgery to remove his colon. When we came to his apartment and he took us to the pool I WAS MORTIFIED. My dad had a scar running from his chest down his stomach and into his swim trunks. All puckered and pink. And he had a sac on his side (kind of hidden but you could definitely see it) that was basically cleaning his system of his urine. I actually hid in the apartment the rest of weekend and pretended to be sick. What I didn't know was my dad had been suffering for years and this was the only option. He would be unable to enjoy life with his kids or even provide for them if he did not take this step.


Fast forward to January of 2009. I checked my mail and had a ton of flyers and junk mail. Nevertheless, I flipped through it just in case a stray bill had gotten lost in there. I found a small packet for Team Challenge. I had been feeling restless and thought to myself how I really needed to get back in shape. I wanted a goal for the year but I was hesitant. A few days later, I opened the packet and read about it. Like a sign from God, I learned that Team Challenge raised money for CCFA and it was like I could give something back to my dad. I could acknowledge the pain and suffering he had gone through. I could show him how much he meant to me. And I could help other people suffering this same disease. So I showed up for a meeting. I went two weeks without going out to pay the $75 sign up fee. And I started fundraising. My dad and his company raised a majority of the funds and I barely trained.


In July of 2009, I flew to San Francisco and headed to Wine Country for the Napa to Sonoma 1/2 marathon. I got to explore and area I've never visited, I was able to meet people from all over the country, I had my first wine tasting, I hung out with people I was helping and, best of all, the night before the race I returned to my hotel to find my Dad waiting for me! He flew from New Jersey to watch me finish up this amazing journey. My longest run had been 6 miles so I was nervous but knowing he would be waiting for me at the finish line pushed me. I finished in 2 hours and 39 minutes and ran the entire thing. It was amazing. I vowed to do another and now I am all signed up for the inaugural Boston 13.1.

To date, I have raised almost $1300 for CCFA and the Boston 13.1. My friend Ward has promised me that he will donate $.23 per tenth of a mile that he and I run combined this week. Therefore, I'm halting my cross training approach and running for a solid week. I am really nervous because I don't usually run multiple days in a row but my brother sent me some kick ass shoes and the money I will raise will be the motivation. I will keep you posted as the week progresses!

To learn more about CCFA, click here. And to donate to my 1/2 marathon, click here.

No comments: