Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Make Out...Hook Up...Sex

Okay, I'd like to start a discussion here because I always wonder what people's thoughts are on this topic. I'll go first.

Make Out- This seems very obvious. More than one or two long, intense kisses shared between two individuals. Some above the clothing stroking and petting can occur during this interlude. Generally takes place on a couch, in a movie theatre, in a car or anywhere else people aren't completely comfortable getting it on.

Hook Up- Clothing is coming off, but full on sex is NOT occuring. Fingering, blow jobs, going down on and just general foreplay happen here. Anywhere semi-private will do. Or if you're drunk or horny enough, anywhere at all.

Sex- Hello tab B, meet slot A. Includes vaginal and anal sex.

Why did this thought come to me? Well, I recently "hooked up" with a guy I've met a few times through friends. And by hook up, I mean exactly what I said above. There was some intense making out both on a boat and in my car and some serious fondling, licking and sucking. At no point, did sex occur. And yet, when other people discuss it amongst themselves I know they will term it hooking up and others will think we had sex. It doesn't bother me overly much except that sex is sex in my opinion and there is no need to call it hooking up.

What are your thoughts? Do you use other terminology for sex talk or do you call a spade a spade?

2 comments:

Hot Mess said...

Hooking up, in my opinion, is just as you described it. I can tell you that I've had the following convo between me and several of my friends:
person 1: so...i may or may not have hooked up with (insert generic name here) last night
person 2: oh yeah? how was it!?
person 1: let's just say he knows what to do w/ his toungue
person 2: wow...so do you think you'll hookup-hookup with him soon?

So the only time hook up means sex (or MORE than hook up) is when you use it twice in a row. We'll also have this convo:
person 1: yeah we hooked up, not like hookup hook-uped but, you know
person 2: ahh, well how was it...?

So there you have it. my definition. But i do agree that you have to clarify with different parties of people because not everyone defines hooking up as the same thing as sex, and some people think it's all one in the same. These people are also the same people that believe that "no sex before marriage" includes oral sex, and that's just no fun for anyone.

Berryfine said...

OMG HAHAHA AMEN TO YOUR LAST COMMENT FOR SURE!