Friday, June 11, 2010

Why Google is Bad for One Night Stands

In 5 minutes patrolling the internet, I discovered the following about a guy I hooked up with:
  1. He has a girlfriend (well no wonder he knew what to do with his tongue. If it were appropriate, I would send her a thank you card).
  2. He is on a site called Woooo Me (now whether that's old or not, it's the first thing that popped up when I typed his name in. Also, of note, body shape doesn't matter to this guy. What a sweetie).
  3. He went to my high school (cue it's a small world after all).
  4. ANNNDDD I used to hang out with his older brother (thank god I can safely say I have not hooked up with him).
  5. He graduated with MY BROTHER making him 2 years younger than me (and forcing me to break one of my own policies about sexual partners).
  6. He is a pothead (I mean I like to relax too but if every damn picture of you has your eyes completely closed while open then we might have an issue)
  7. He dated a friend of a friend (awww damn, its like six degrees of separation. Now we hooked up too!)

Now, let's say I google someone else I dated or hooked up with...here's what I might discover:

  1. He's married
  2. He's engaged
  3. He has a girlfriend
  4. He has a horrific disease
  5. He is on a sex site...jacking off
  6. He was busted as a drug dealer
  7. He lives with his mom

I mean, I could keep going, but let's be honest it only gets worse from there. With the advent of internet, it may seem like no one can get away with anything anymore but only if you are smart about how you do your "stalking". And a good sexual escapade can be ruined by your snooping but if the information is all out there why would you not check it out? Especially with our habit of falling in love with those we fuck (I say fuck because seriously ladies if you have sex the night you meet chances are its not a relationship. Trust me, I keep trying and it doesn't work). While you may think you owe it to yourself to find out everything you can about a potential hookup, maybe you are ruining your chances of anything developing. Not to mention cutting short that delicious I just had awesome sex afterglow that could last for days. And, while we're on it, snooping into his background could be the excuse he needs to dump you before you've even dated or, in an extreme case, murder you.

So tell me, what have you discovered when snooping on someone you've hooked up with? Would you google a hottie to find out deets or wait to find them out from him?

No comments: