Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Where the Hell is Your Patriotism?

Patriotism: love and devotion to one’s country.

I am damn proud of the country I live in. I may be a body divided when it comes to choosing between Georgia and New Jersey (a fact no one can appreciate unless they too are transplanted elsewhere from Jersey) but when it comes to America… I LOVE AMERICA. And, honestly, you should, too.

Why am I choosing this for my WigOut Wednesday topic? Well, my dear 9 readers, unless you’ve been in a coma you should be aware that the World Cup is currently occurring in South Africa. I’m going to be completely blunt and say to you this: I don’t give a fuck about soccer. Unless you tell me America is playing some other country. Any other country. Even the Irish who I claim heritage from. Why? Because I am a goddamn American that’s why.

America is the best country in the whole world whether you agree with their actions or not. You are American; therefore, your country is the shit.* End of discussion. I shouldn’t even have to post about this.

I cannot fathom how anybody in the United States is rooting for any teams but AMERICA in the World Cup but my buddy Ellen over at Fired N Fabulous is boasting a picture of a girl (with no taste ps) wearing her England shit like its going out of style. Unless you got off the fucking boat (or plane as the case may be) to immigrate here, there is absolutely NO reason for you to be cheering for any country but your own. Just like those players play for club teams in other countries, they come back to the AMERICAN team for the World Cup. Why? Because they have citizenship in AMERICA therefore they are AMERICAN so they should play for said team. In my opinion, if thems the rules for the players, they ought to be the rules for the fans, too (Although, if I wanted to go off on a tangent I could say if you did come off the boat, plane, whatever to live here then you damn well can cheer for the team of the country you currently reside in. Because if your previous country is so damn great, why did you come here? With exceptions, of course, because there are always exceptions like your job relocated you here or whatever). It's cool if when America is not playing England you cheer for them (maybe you picked them in your pool to advance or some shit) but when America plays England if you're American you cheer for the Americans.

My motivation to cheer for all things America is simple: I want to live in a country that wins. You can tell me winning doesn’t matter all damn day and I’ll just smirk at you. Winning does matter. So does losing for that matter (develops character). But the fact is, I want to be from a nation that kicks ass and takes names in everything it does so I’m always going to root for my team.** And a country can’t be the best with a fanbase that shows indifference or even a lack of caring for its team. Sure, we will suck at some shit but if the team tries and shows improvement every year and the fans support them, then I love them.

I am American. My team is America. The end.

* In a similar vein, if you are South African then the same applies to you. Just sub South Africa for America. Voila!
**It’s kind of like cheering for all things Georgia. If Georgia had a chess club, I’d root for them to be the best. A club for staring contests? They better be the last one to blink. All the time.

1 comment:

AshleyRae said...

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!