Thursday, January 27, 2011

How the Prospect that Wasn't a Prospect moved from Ego Booster to Prospect

Without getting too maudlin, I had to go out of town this week for a death in the family. You know how they say there is always a silver lining? Or that love bites you in the ass right when you stop looking?

Ohhhhh look, he's texting me right now.

Anyway, a while back I examined my gaggle and though I didn't know it, I had an ego booster on my hands. I referred to him as the 70s throwback and that is still pretty accurate but things have changed a bit. Quick recap: he lives in my hometown, drives a car from the 70s, wears ridiculous clothing from the 70s, 80s and 90s (like a soft rock radio station in the flesh if you will) and I met him through friends. We talk constantly (via facebook, text and phone) and he's just like become one of my best buddies I guess.

All that changed with a photo text and a death in the family.

You see on NYE, homeboy shaved his full beard and mustache (resulting in my calling him Babyface) and went to a party. The picture he text me made me realize holy shit there is an attractive guy under all that 70s shit. So not only is he funny and incredibly intelligent but he's also hot? I know it sounds vain but whatever I want to want to wake up next to a guy every day so he needs to be attractive in some way.

When I had to head to NJ for the funeral, the person I thought to get in touch with was my Ego Booster (because you really need an ego boost when you lose someone). He entertained me with texts on the LOOONG (14.5 hours to be exact) trek north and on Friday night picked me up to take me out on the town. After two solid days of family...completely sober...I needed alcohol and friends and The Ego Booster did just that.

I got hammered.

And he made sure I got back to our friend's house. He made sure when I passed out on the couch that I got a bed upstairs while the party continued downstairs. I woke up in the morning surrounded by a cocoon of warmth and with a slight hangover. But after thinking back on it, I realize there was no sense of panic. I didn't wonder where I was or who I was with or what I did. I knew I was with him and I was okay. That is a hell of a feeling to wake up to.

And suddenly, on the drive back to my dad's I found myself wondering if my Ego Booster was more than an Ego Booster. Perhaps, he had turned into a viable option?

I spent Saturday night (soberly) hanging out with him and his friends and had a blast while he got drunk. Sunday we spent the day and late into the night texting. Monday, the day I was to leave, he came and picked me up and what I thought was just two friends going to grab breakfast together had turned into the Ego Booster buying my breakfast. According to a mutual friend, even just Friday night was out of the norm for him as he NEVER picks anyone up. Twice in three days hardly seems like a coincidence.

The only awkward moment was at the end when he went to drop me off after breakfast. I would have lost it that weekend had it not been for him. Saying good bye to him hardly seemed adequate. And when I leaned in for the hug I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if I leaned in for a kiss, too? For a brief moment, our eyes connected and I think we both wondered but I broke the moment with a hasty goodbye so I guess I'll never know....

1 comment:

Hot Mess said...

well well well, that's quite an eventful weekend! how exciting (slash, really sorry about your grandma:(

Excited to hear what might unfold!