Sunday, January 9, 2011

1st Annual Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K

Adam, of Boring Runner fame (whom I think we all know I am mildly obsessed with), threw a Virtual and not so virtual race yesterday. Since it's been a while since I really ran for time, I thought to myself why not sign up? Plus, Adam was going to give shit to people for running. Seemed like a win. Sometimes you just need some motivation.

So, after getting some errands done, I threw on some Nike capri running tights, my Nike jacket, my Nike gloves, my Train Like a Girl sports bra, my Nike socks and a race tee and got ready to head out. (Sidenote: if I say Nike enough, will they sponsor me? Or send me stuff to review? Or hire me as a consultant?) My Garmin worked on the first try (score!). It was a nice 42 degrees and I had carbo loaded with a jalapeno cheddar bagel. I was GOOD. TO. GO.

I picked a route I knew was 3.1 miles and also happened to be relatively flat. It's my first 5K since August when I ran with my Dad in the Sea Girt 5K and the Virtual 5K for Boobies (which got pushed to September if I remember correctly). This time, I wasn't hungover and it wasn't hot. So actually it was the opposite of the last 5K I ran.

And to make sure I could actually do what the race entailed, I didn't shave my legs all week. You know, so I had some thorns to freeze. Har har har, I'm so funny and disgusting at the same time.

Some thoughts from my race:

  • In the first mile I determined where Falcon's player Tony Gonzalez lives after viewing a picture he tweeted on Friday. Homeboy lives around the corner from me but in a MUCH nicer building. Yes, I am a creeper. Yes, I will determine things no one should know utilizing the internet, my own gut and runs. Guess I know what building I'll be running past a lot more.
  • Holy wind. What. The. Fuck. It was like someone had their hand on my chest pushing me back. Like when football players have to push around the tackling dummy or some shit. And I thought it would get better after I hit the 1.55 mile mark where I make the turn but in the opposite direction it was somehow fucking WORSE. I didn't even think it was possible for wind to blow in multiple directions at once but clearly it is.
  • On the run back I realized I had totaled 3 minutes at stop lights or cross streets and altered my route a little. Thus making it a hilly 1.5 miles. Damnit. Piss poor planning.
  • One whistle, three hey you! nice ass shouts and 5 honks. That was record setting considering the mileage.
  • My current playlist blows any previous playlist out of the water. I just wanted to RUN FAST from the get go. Which scares me.
  • My route ended at a park. Which meant I was still over a quarter of a mile from home and unable to just collapse in a pool of my own sweat on my hard wood floors. Instead, I had to just stop in the middle of the park and walk with my hands above my head. This garnered weird looks from people hanging out in the park. And also the attention of multiple dogs who decided I must be fun to play with since I run and they run too!
I hoped to hit the 30-31 minute time for my 5K since I have done very little running since moving into my new apartment (though as temps rise that is likely to change. that and my Christmas present). Also, I've been sick the past week so I was kind of nervous about this run. But Luau told me he beat Swine Flu running so I had to give it a shot. Imagine my surprise when I finished in 29.48! Not my fastest time but faster than what I was aiming for! Also, no pictures from this neck of the woods because I look like I feel like shit after being sick all week. Lo Siento little ones.

Don't Forget! You have mere hours to enter to win an iTunes gift card!

2 comments:

Fruit Fly said...

I love that you are now stalking your celebrity neighbor! When I was at TGIFridays sitting near Jerome Kersey I spent the entire time going back and forth through the bathroom just so I could be close to a real life Portland Trailblazer. Highlight of that summer for me!

You're speedy!

runluaurun.com said...

Nice race Chiquita! Hope it helped you feel better!