Friday, October 1, 2010

When it rains it pours...

Which is not good for an indecisive person such as myself. And especially when I have made a move toward one thing and immediately after, something shinier comes up. Currently, I have "accepted" a job offer from a company and pending the credit and background check will be starting October 12. Which means I had to put my notice in for my current job.

NO GOING BACK NOW.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine has an excellent opportunity that could really give me some experience in a field I am seriously interested in. It is part time. Flexible in terms of hours and the pay is good for some spending money. But I don't know if I can do it while doing this new job since the new job is in an industry I know nothing about (and the new boss gave me three HUGE binders to read and learn before I start). I want it though. I want it bad. I would be fucking awesome for it (I'd have to edit my fucks though haha). I would learn a ton. And it could be what I need to get into the industries I'm interested in doing something I am actually GOOD at (versus this job which I know nothing about and have a feeling I will be terrible at no matter what the Wonderlic says about me). I want to be able to say yes to this SO BAD (she is being nice enough to give me a quick minute to think about it. Which is because I want to be sure I could handle it and my new job- she's sticking her neck out to give me the opportunity. And my performance would reflect back on her. That matters a lot to me).

Then, I get a phone call from a darling friend (whom you all know and love as well) with an opportunity she is DYING to submit me for. Awesome pay. Awesome job. I had actually considered applying for it but didn't think I had the skill level they wanted and then things started rolling with the job I just got offered so I stopped applying to jobs altogether.

I hate to accept a job and then interview for another one and possibly get it but at the same time, I'm sure this is how other people get ahead. We might call them bitches and assholes for being so selfish but, in fact, they are saavy and are doing better with their careers than my nice guy approach. Since the first opportunity is through a friend of a friend, I called my mom for advice about what to do. She told me to go for the third opportunity because I need to look out for me.

The third opportunity sounds golden- travel (around the state), using my background, with a company I enjoy as I use their products on the reg and the difference in pay between opportunity one (which by the way is with someone I can learn a TON from as she is ranked #1 in Atlanta in what she does) and this opportunity is $13K. I know, INSANE not to take it.

So I submitted my resume. I might even head to church so I can pray to God I get the third opportunity. I want it so bad! Cross your fingers and your toes for me. And leave me some love or hate about my decision!

No comments: