Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Today's Post Brought to You by POOP.

I know I have discussed poop before but seriously, todays run was HARD. And not just because I had calf pain as usual.

I really had to poop.

And it slowed me down. And I got to wondering if I'm the only one who has to poop on my runs or what. Apparently, I'm not the only one who wonders because I found this on my google search. It's so ridiculous to me that people are rude to others on message boards by the way (sidenote I know). So many people told this person it was just him/her and that he/she has a problem. Just because it doesn't happen to them. Anyway.

I'm wondering if it is what I'm eating at night... but I just don't know and I'm not disciplined enough to do a little experiment.

Of course, in searching this I have found a number of answers- metabolism, bouncing, squeezing of the muscles. Whatever.

In other news, during this search I came across TriFuel and I really like it. Check out the less sarcastic answers for some actual thoughts and helpful hints on their forums. Of course, I linked you right to the poop forum.

6 comments:

Kovas said...

For a runner who writes about poop and lots of other stuff, check out Shut Up and Run, http://twentysixpointtwoormore.blogspot.com, Beth is a great writer.

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

My coach says to drink coffee or whatever "stimulates your GI system" before you start running.

One Crazy Penguin said...

Haha I love that Kovas beat me to it because I was just about to post the same link over to SUAR. You should definitely check it out though. Right up your alley :)

Fruit Fly said...

I'm on the SUAR bandwagon, too! She is a riot!

Alanna said...

You're totally normal! Obviously I'm familiar with the issue since I actually clicked the links to see if there was some good advice. :) Sometimes I think that runners are the only group of people (besides parents of small children) who have no boundaries when it comes to bodily functions...

ps - be thankful that your problem was that you only *had* to go - not that you *did* go...

Adam said...

A yes - liquefaction.

Soooo, I can give you honest to goodness advice if you want some. Read at your own risk. Essentially the blood is diverted from your GI tract to your legs / lungs which throws your GI tract into fits. Water that is normally absorbed isn't because there isn't any blood.

Things that can help: Stay hydrated before, avoid fatty food before, go before using the coffee trick mentioned above, on the flip side avoid caffeine during the run (via gels etc).

All those help a ton