Monday, October 25, 2010

Want to Understand Guys? Me Too. Kind of.

So Yahoo's front page today contained a story on getting to understand guys better and I thought I should bring it to the world. Maybe pepper it with some of my own experiences.

  1. Guys have shitty memories. Of-fucking-course. Why did I need an article to explain that every time I talk to Hook Up I have to tell him for the ten millionth time what I do for a living. Or why The First had to be told repeatedly to do things I requested. Word on the street is guys have a smaller hippocampus than gals. By street, I mean science says so. Apparently it occupies a smaller percentage of their brains (you know, cause their brains are bigger. Duh). So you may have penis envy, but remember you have less chance of misremembering (to quote David Wells, a baseball player who forgot he took steroids) than your sweeties.
  2. Guys are literally Captain Obvious. Which is why you have to circle all the things you want in a catalogue, leave it open on the counter with a note that reads "I want this for Christmas. Call 1800-VICKYS and order item #C86547 in red. Size 34B. Standard shipping. Do this before 11/7. Spring for gift wrapping, too. Place under tree with MY name on it. I will open on Christmas. Oh, we need milk. XOXO."
  3. Guys don't like to talk. It's not you, it's them. Except maybe in the case of The Commercial Banker where he was clearly waiting for me to stuff a dick in it already. Apparently this goes back to the brain as well. The areas controlling conversation in the man's brain are smaller than in the female's. Explains, a lot doesn't it? Cue Tim The Toolguy Taylor grunt here.
  4. Guys are naturally more upbeat than girls. In fact, less men are depressed than women. I cannot imagine why. Anyway, that could explain my recent convos with men who seem to be my biggest cheerleaders (including my recently axed compliance guy who called in today and sounded so genuinely happy that I was jealous. And homeboy just LOST HIS JOB). The First spent a lot of time rolling with the punches and only once did I ever see him truly frustrated for longer than a 24 hour period. They seem better able to get past hardships and see what is coming next while we want to focus on what went wrong and understand why. Perhaps we should learn to let go those things we can't change.
  5. Guys don't see your past the way you do. Back to that damn brain thing again. Our brains compute differently than theirs. So while, 13 guys seems perfectly acceptable to you it may not be acceptable to him. Similarly, you may remember every detail about your first date- where you went, what you ate, what you both wore, how it felt to be with him, what time he kissed you at, how his hands felt, what movie you saw with the trailers (in the order you saw them) while he remembers that you went to a movie and he had a great time and ended it with an epic kiss. He also tends to remember things in order while we remember things in order of importance.
So tell me, do you agree with this list? Is there anything you would add or take away? Do you think knowing these things will aid you in your future (or current) dealings with men?

1 comment:

Hot Mess said...

The whole depression thing is so true - rarely to you ever see a guy completely torn up about something for more than 24 hours. Unless it's like a death in the family...extreme circumstances though. But women will dwell and dwell and dwell for days, analyzing and wallowing. As of right now, no more of that for me. I'll allow myself 24 hours MAX to wallow over something for the rest of my life. Hit em up, move em out. NEXT!