Thursday, October 7, 2010

How the Hell DO You Do It?

Parents!

Good Lord, I am caring for my 15-year-old sister this week while my mom is in New Jersey caring for my sick grandmother. I have to tell you, this whole week has been a lesson in why I am NOT having children!

My alarm is set for 5 am.

Which would be fine if I were going running but I'm not digging the dip in temps. I don't mind it during the day but going from 80+ at 5 am to 30 degrees in the blink of an eye is NOT working for me. Anyway, I wake up at 5 am so I can shuffle my way down the hall to my sister's room because SHE needs to be up at 5 am.

Why on earth am I doing this?

Sweetie pie broke her damn phone this week. I certainly don't have the money to buy her a new one and apparently she sleeps right through her alarm despite it waking the entire house up. So I wake her up at 5 am because SHE NEEDS TO DO HER HAIR.

I have to tell you, it can't take more than 10 minutes to do but whatever.

At 6 am, I drag my sleepy self out of bed and hop into the shower. By 6:30 am, I am out the door to DRIVE her to school because GOD FORBID sweetie pie ride the BUS.

"I need to be there by 6:45 am so I can look over my notes."

Right. I wasn't born yesterday. She wants to be there early enough to canoodle with her boyfriend.

Then I head to work and...well, work. At 1 pm, I head home to work the last 2-3 hours of my day from home (perk of the current job which ends on Monday). I have to CRAM the hours in because promptly at 4 pm, we have to climb into my sister's car (which really is just the car that sits unused in the driveway) so she can MOSEY over to swim team. Then I RUSH back home to spend an hour and a half doing my freelance assignments/blogging. Then I hop back into her POS car and drive back to her swim team practice location and she drives us home.

It's now 7 pm. WHAT THE FUCK IS FOR DINNER?

Did I mention I can't cook?

So, we eat whatever I come up with (chicken nuggets and tots). And then I have to digest for a bit and help her with her homework. PLUS I have to catch up on all the gossip from her school (Brent refuses to go to Carraba's for dinner for Homecoming so now we are trying to decide between Red Lobster and Texas Roadhouse. I mean, seriously? Hannah is having everyone over afterwards and NO ONE wants to go. Meredith said she is going to drink at Hannah's because it's the only way she'll get through it without ripping Hannah's hair out. Tori told India and India is a Baptist so she won't speak to Meredith because clearly Meredith isn't a good christian if she is going to drink. So Meredith posted a facebook status about it and India told her she needed to be more mature and not air everything out on facebook. Now the group wants to go to Bonefish. Which Nick and I cannot do because Nick is paying for everything with the money he made this summer. What should I do? Elaina and Madelyn aren't talking anymore which is good for me since Elaina and I are in PEAK together and now Elaina talks to me. Meredith, Ali and Bo didn't make it but only Bo really deserves it...and on and on and on and on).

I'm exhausted. I can't even drag my ass out of the chair to go for a run anymore. I do some crunches while she tries on all the possible combinations of outfits she has picked out from both her and my mothers closet. By the time she's finished, I'm half asleep and its 9 pm.

Another run missed.

4 comments:

Fruit Fly said...

Oh. My. Gosh.
If I feel worn out after reading that I can't even imagine what you are feeling like!
I did find the Homecoming gossip interesting though. India is being a little judgmental, no? I bet once India hits college she'll be thinking more like Meredith! :)

Berryfine said...

Oh maybe I should update you on the newest gossip then.

mommaof3ontherun said...

It is hard work....I sometimes wake up and think about what the hell I did to myself having three kids....but there are many positive and I don't really regret it. But man, oh man, it is hard and your needs/wants really don't matter anymore. As a parent, I love my children unconditionally, but my children have many conditions for me!

Adam said...

What? That sounds like a BLAST!!! I'll take like 7 or 8 of those things please.