Thursday, March 24, 2011

Google

So, I saw this on someones facebook wall today:


Do you live in Atlanta? Interested in Google? Did you graduate between 2006 and 2010? We're hosting an event and we want YOU to come learn more about Google, while also sharing a bit about yourself. Complete the form below for information about working at THE BEST COMPANY. EVER.

spreadsheets9.google.com

about a minute ago ·  ·  · Share

I clicked the link and got to the full advertisement and found this little section to be interesting:


  •   

Is it just me or is this somehow racially geared? Why are they only looking for people from historically black colleges and universities? And why didn't they say that before I clicked the link and got pumped about an event I'm clearly not the target demographic for? I actually had to use GOOGLE to look up HBCU in order to even understand that I was not invited AND that was after I caught a glimpse of the school list and realized UGA wasn't on it. Do I show up and claim ignorance? For that matter, do they prefer African Americans who attended only historic black colleges? Wouldn't it be easier to just write  COLLEGE: and leave a blank for them to write into? Would they rather Georgia State, University of Georgia, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech and any other schools not listed as historically black just stay home?

Calling this a Google Alumni party seems silly to me- it is a broad title when you read the actual invite. This is for a select group of people- don't even get me started with the confinement of the year they graduated. I'm sure this happens all the time. I just find it interesting that HR is not allowed to select candidates based on race, religion, sex, etc and yet they can host a party that is for a certain type of person. With the economy the way it is and workers of every sex and race willing to work for less if it means having a job, why would Google limit themselves? And are they having to do this because they limited themselves to whites who attended engineering schools? Did they limit themselves to begin with and now they need to remedy it?

Here is the link to the full invite: https://spreadsheets9.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dGgzWjJjTkU1OWRWTmhIbW9vWHBsaUE6MQ&ndplr=1#gid=0

Thoughts?

*Before anyone gets mad at me, I am genuinely curious. I'm not knocking their decision to do it this way. I'm not saying they are choosing one race over another. I simply saw this for the first time today. Maybe they have done it for the major universities in general before. But then you have to wonder why they are segregating? So many questions....

2 comments:

The Boring Runner said...

INTERESTING.......

Unknown said...

i am pretty sure i could take said posting down to EEOC and win a settlement since they obviously don't want to hire a white girl named barbie. Shall you join me E?