Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Y'all v Ya'll

Email from R:
Ok. Finished. One other thing that bothers the hell out of me that I need help with. The word yall. It is a real word in the dictionary. I know this for a fact. From my understanding it is a contraction for "you all". So, if this is indeed correct, shouldn't (contraction for "should not") it be written "y'all". Everyone in America types it "ya'll". Which doesn't (contraction for "does not") make one f'ing lick of sense. Are we contracting "youa" and "ll". Seriuosly, am I wrong, or is everybody else wrong?

My response:
I can't (contraction for can not) even focus on Benihana when I have that to digest. So I will address it first. I believe you are correct. However, considering it wasn't (contraction for was not) a "real" word until just recently (within the last 10 years I would wager to guess) and that the South (no offense but seriously?) came up with this word, I am not surprised the spelling of the contraction is incorrect.

Okay, because I was curious, I tried to look up when it was added to the dictionary and just kept getting the actual definition. No date. Soooooo, I googled wikipedia and ya'll together and it immediately said, "Did you mean y'all?" and took me to the page which I have generously copied and pasted for your enjoyment....here:

Y'all, archaically spelled "You-all'", is a contraction of the phrase "you all". It is used as a plural second-person pronoun. Commonly believed to have originated in the Southern United States, it is primarily associated with Southern American English, African-American Vernacular English, and some dialects of the Western United States.

Usages:

[1] It is also used outside the United States in Sri Lankan English There are currently four generally recognized, and one generally unrecognized[not in citation given] properties that y'all follows[2]:A replacement for the plural of you. Example: "Y'all can use the internet at the same time." An associative plural, including individuals associated but not present with the singular addressee. Example: "Y'all can come over at around 10:30," Chris says. Chris explains to John that he and John's friends, who are not present at the time, can come over at around 10:30. Chris is speaking to John, but treats John as a representative for others (i.e., his friends). An institutional plural addressed to one person representing a group. Example: "Y'all sell the best candies, Mrs. Johnson." Y'all is received by Mrs. Johnson who is the representative of a small candy business. A form used in direct address in certain contexts (e.g., partings, greetings, invitations, and vocatives) Example: "Hey, y'all!" A greeting that addresses a multitude of people without referencing a singular identity comprising that multitude
Y'all is also used in the phrase "all y'all", which is a more inclusive form comparable to "all of you". Note that we can be used as the first-person analog of y'all for the first three properties listed above.

Surprisingly enough, R, I was wrong. It orginates in the 1700s with the Scots. Learn something new everyday. I need to get back to work for a few minutes and will email you shortly about Benihana's.

R's final word:
HAHAHAHAHA. I knew I was right. I also forgot that I used another contraction (fu*&^king). That is awesome. Now I am even more amazed that EVERYBODY spells it wrong. Maybe it's just that my mother taught me how to spell, but it really does annoy me when people spell things horribly wrong. Education in the south (other than metro atlanta) in my opinion is simply a disaster. Benihana?

No comments: