Monday, August 24, 2009

Fun with WebMD

Weight: 164.2 (jesus this is ridiculous!)
Workout: 30 minutes on the elliptical and 35 minutes on the bike
Food Diary:
Breakfast- multigrain cheerios with a banana and skim milk
Snack: 1 serving of Quakes (sorry Amanda, I have 10 bags of them to get through!)
Lunch: Lean Cuisine 5 Cheese Rigatoni
Snack: Skinny Cow Dippers
Dinner: Turkey, Muenster cheese, tomato and honey mustard on wheat sliders (2) and tater tots
with a glass of milk

I know I am in no way eating enough of anything but this whole changing my diet thing is HARD (I should know, I've tried it a hundred times) so I figure baby steps. Becoming aware is probably the first step. I might dwell on that one for a good bit of time so be patient! Since, I am having an issue with my knee but don't have my health insurance all set up yet, I thought we might try diagnosing it ourselves using one of my favorite websites, WebMD. WebMD has to be used as a possible tool to narrow down issues or to learn what symptoms to look for. It is by no means a doctor and most people forget that. The last time I was seriously ill this website told me I was HIV Positive (or diabetic. Either way). So let the games begin. My favorite part of WebMD is the voodoo looking doll that you track your symptoms on so I will now document that for you....

  • Click on the symptom checker (that thing got tiny! I wonder if someone complained. It used to be so prominent!)
  • Click start now. Directions for dummies. Sweet.
  • Tell them about yourself: Female, 25-34 years old, 30043 (hmmm...) and I know better than to give them my email.
  • Click on the part of the body that is having the symptom. Leg.
  • You may now narrow down your search to a specific part of the leg. Knee.
  • 19 possible symptoms.
  • Joint instability- two possible conditions: ACL or PCL injury
  • Joint Pain- does it move around? Is it the same on both sides? None of the above.
  • How would you describe your joint pain? Dull and Achy. (Ask me more? Yes, please)
  • How severe is your joint pain? Moderate. (ask me more? Of course!)
  • On which side of your body is the joint pain located? Left. (Ask me more? I'm tried of answering this...)
  • Joint pain brought on by: Or made worse by exercise or physical activity, or made worse by daily activities and or made worse by rest or inactivity. (Of course it wants to ask me more)
  • Joint pain...now it is asking me if anything makes it feel better. Not fucking walking on it is apparently not an option. It is better with Ice though so I will put that.
  • Joint pain associated with: None of the above (something about recent injury and history of issues...neither of which apply. Actually maybe I injured it and am unaware. I'm not exactly in tune with my body).
  • Joint pain onset: sudden (it can't be gradual because I just all the sudden noticed it!)
  • All those questions lead to 20 possible conditions. Ready? Fuck, I can't spell half of them and I have a feeling copying and pasting them all will ruin this page somehow. I'm always hindered by technology. Suffice to say they all sound like problems associated with being old. And FAT. Weird.
  • I pick weakness as a symptom and once again still have 20 conditions. I should have just stuck with the first symptom and never gone on.
  • I pick popping and snapping sounds from knee as a symptom. It asks me if it was associated with an injury. Nope.
  • Still TWENTY conditions. This is not as fun as I had hoped.
  • Here are the twenty conditions ( I want to kill myself as I type): ACL injury, Tendonitis, PCL injury, some form of arthritis that starts with pr and fades into oblivion as I read, gout, bursistis(definitely an old person disease), Patellofemoral pain syndrome, Chrondomalacia patella, sickle cell crisis, knee meniscus tear, dislocated knee, septic arthritis, osteochondritis dessicans, fibromyalia, repetitive motion injuries, pseudogout, knee strain, lupus, lyme disease, obesity. Wow these run the gamut.
This is not as fun as I thought. I might have to try each disease on for size and get back to you with a diagnosis and prognosis. Some of these things sound like I might die! I'm leaning toward the obesity issue which we are currently working on so there is nothing new to be done there except maybe a cleansing diet or liposuction. Neither of which appeal to me at the moment.

No comments: