Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Once a runner....


Weight: 164.2

Workout: Weights- 3x 15 circuit training with 10 minute mile run between each circuit

Food Diary:

Breakfast: Multigrain Cheerios

Snack: 1 serving of Quakes with 2 servings of Crystal Light Natural Lemonade ( for the curious each serving has 5 calories and 35 mg of sodium)

Lunch: Lean Cuisine 5 cheese rigatoni ( calories: 330, fat 9 g, 12 g of protein, 50 g of carbs and 690 mg of sodium)

Snack # 1: Crackers with provelone and turkey pepperoni (about 7 crackers)

Snack # 2: Cliff Bar Sample Size ( 100 calories, 2 g of fat, 55 mg of sodium, 18 g of carbs and 4 g of protein)

Dinner: 2 Pepperidge farm sliders with crunchy all natural peanut butter and jelly


"A new study says that one of the advantages of treadmills is that it's the highest calorie burner of the exercises. And the other advantage is that hamsters can now laugh at us."

~Johnny Robish


Since I am in training (doesn't that sound important, like an athlete or something?) I thought I would focus today on what I am training for: the Big Peach Sizzler 10 K. Formerly, the Buckhead Sizzler, the Big Peach Sizzler takes place on September 26, 2009 in Atlanta. To sign up for the event go here: http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1772574&assetId=63B456F5-1B5B-44CB-8220-2C7E7C15911A. I will be running with my friend Barbie but would love anyone who wants to join me to sign up and then let me know- running is definitely more fun with friends! Anyway, I am jazzed because I was the 10th person to sign up so I get a sweet shirt at the end. Its the small things in life. I used to be a runner in high school but I let it go when I got to college and now I keep trying to get back into it but challenges keep arising. One is that I don't want to change my life style (like an alcoholic, I have to want to do it for it to stick) so I refuse to get up at 5 am and go running EVERY day. Another is injury. The slightest twinge and I'm scared my body is dying and I take a breather and have to start all over. I just read a great article about cross training though so I think this time around I may finally get into it again :) I thought since I was here I would tell you about two awesome events coming up that I am not involved in but that I have friends who are particpating in.


First, shout out to my former coworker Barbie. She is awesome. Her close friend was recently diagnosed with leukemia and Barbie (who since moving to GA has not worked out AT ALL) committed to running 13.1 miles to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through the Team in Training Program. Barbie has done an amazing job of raising much needed funds and beat her orginal goal amount within a number of weeks of making the decision to join. She has since signed up to run several other races and upped the ante on her monetary goal. Couple of websites you should check out:



  • http://pages.teamintraining.org/ga/nikesf09/bvines This is Barbie's Team in Training Site. You can read updates on her training and see a picture of her good friend Bekah who is also running the same event in October!


  • http://barbieruns.blogspot.com/ Looking for inspiration? Check out Barbie's blog here. She tells you all about her struggles to get race ready be it physically or emotionally. It's a great page- she really has a way with words that make you empathize with her and inspire you.


Second, I want to tell you about my own experience with Team Challenge, who are gearing up for the Vegas Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon. You can still sign up so be sure to contact Angel Whitworth for information a AWhitworth@ccfa.org. I just finished running the Napa to Sonama 1/2 marathon with Team Challenge. It was an awesome experience and I finished in 2 hours 39 minutes with minimal training. On top of that I met some awesome people and raised over $4200 for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. The picture above is the Georgia team at 5 am on race day. Here are some related websites to check out:


No comments: