Monday, August 24, 2009

Terrible decisions...

Some people go out of town and behave; others go out of town and behave...BADLY. I am apparently a part of the others. What is it about going out of town that loosens the inhibitions so that you'll talk to anyone, steal anything and even slut it up? The answer is simple really...alcohol. Alcohol really encourages you to do just about anything. It's like your ID comes out in full force and no one and nothing is going to stop it from doing, saying and getting what it wants. It's absolutely ridiculous to think you can consume a twelve pack of beer and shots of liquor and not be affected in some way. It's just been a while since I've been affected enough to make an absolutely horrendous decision and then spend time pondering that decision. The best part is the not remembering part which I know is fun in its own right (cause if you can't remember it, it could not have happened!) but that is also the part that more than likely is indicative of a problem. But I'd rather ignore that problem and commence worrying about the possible consequences of my bad decision. Will it have far reaching effects? Or just a case of good old Catholic guilt (which in itself could be far reaching)? I think when people witness you spiraling of control they figure you just don't give a fuck. Which is true of the moment but never of the aftermath. The fact of the matter is that having a life in shambles can be just as terrible as it sounds. And up until now, I've always lived by the motto of not regretting my decisions but learning from them. But how much have I really learned if years after college I have begun making the same mistakes over again? Is it an endless cycle? Or at some point will I finally get off the merry go round and onto solid ground?

No comments: