Tuesday, November 9, 2010

You Have To Do Things You Don't Like

My little sister is a competitive swimmer. She specializes in backstroke and travels around the southeast competing against other phenomenal swimmers. One of her teammates is now at UGA swimming for the olympic coach. He has swam against Michael Phelps and traveled to Ireland to compete. My sister would like to do the same.

Unfortunately, my sister is the opposite of me. She is too tiny and struggles to gain weight.

This past weekend she had a meet at the University of Tennessee and she didn't do as well as she hoped. She still made a state cut for an event that she doesn't specialize in and she stayed on top of her best times (side note: they don't know what a pr is. I have to explain it to them every time I go to a meet. It's best times in their world). My mom and I were talking about what she will have to do to get to the next level.

Basically, a lot of things she doesn't like. Eating six meals a day of foods she doesn't like. Stocking up on protein. Drinking shakes throughout the day. Doing extra workouts to strengthen up.

Talk turned to my little brother. He is 24 and finishing up school while working at a sporting goods store. Like me, he is overweight. His blood pressure might as well say, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE ANY DAY NOW. On top of that, Friday, he was diagnosed with Colitis. They've given him a ridiculously high-priced medication and he'll have to adjust his diet. Eat more veggies and fruits. Steer clear of dairy products. No more junk food. In essence, a lot of things he doesn't like.

And a light bulb went on. I may not like what I'm eating. I will not enjoy seeing other people eat junk while I eat fruits, veggies, proteins....while I only eat fist-sized servings and they eat everything in sight. I have to stop comparing my results to others. I am not the same as the skinny bitch eating a large pizza by herself. I am me and it will take something different to get healthy and get to a healthy weight.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

The fact that I don't like a lot of certain foods is exactly why I have trouble with weight loss.

...Barbie... said...

Ahh. I am sorry about your brother. =(

One Crazy Penguin said...

How very self aware off you. Well said.

Sending your brother positive vibes.

Adam said...

My little bro has colitis too.... my little sister is not a super athlete though. If she swims against phelps, can you get him to sign a bong for me?

Fruit Fly said...

I'm with Courtney - I don't like a lot of certain foods. But my "certain foods" means pretty much everything healthy. I would love to just live off of grilled cheese sandwiches and French fries. *sigh* If only. :(