Wednesday, November 24, 2010

And We're Back in Shambles!



So Shambles took a job at a small company, assuring them (after speaking with Todd Noble at Mccart Insurance) that I could get insurance coverage. Apparently, a month after I start my job I find out this is not the case.

Interesting. Glad Obamacare is going so well. So well that someone like me who goes to the doctor once a year cannot get health insurance.

Dear Berryfine,

This letter is in response to your inquiry regarding the recent declination of your application for individual coverage with CoventryOne.

Unfortunately, we were unable to offer coverage on you due to history of borderline hypertension with no follow up or blood pressure readings since starting medication in May 2009. The source of this information was medical records from Dr. William Bostock.

The decision is based strictly on insurance risk, not a clinical viewpoint.

Sincerely,
CoventryOne
Individual Medical Underwriting/lss

Background:

In May of 2009, my gynecologist said she was not going to continue prescribing birth control because she thought my blood pressure was too high. She insisted I see a doctor. So I called Dr. Bostock and ended up seeing one of his NPs. She laughed at my gynecologist but prescribed me with the LOWEST dose of medication and sent me home. She asked me to fax her some blood pressure readings before and after I began the medication. I did so and she told me there was no need for me to come back in. So I took the meds for 3 months
, monitored my blood pressure. Once I went off, I monitored it for a few weeks and there was no change. I figured this was the end of it. I'm not on birth control and I haven't been to a doctor since May 2009. I've lost almost 20 lbs, I run every day, I eat healthy (for the most part) and I drink. Never had a problem with health insurance until now.

My thoughts:
1. CoventryOne doesn't allow me to appeal. Which is bullshit. There is absolutely no reason not to allow me to provide my own notes and lab results that show when I spoke with my doctor and what she told me.
2. It pisses me the fuck off that something that my doctor didn't think was even an issue but just a cautionary reaction to another doctor is preventing me from getting healthcare coverage. My medical history includes this incident and one hospitalization back in 2003. Other than that, I am RARELY sick, haven't had the flu in over 10 years and go to the doctor only for yearly visits.
3. There are some fat fucks out there who gorge themselves on eve
rything, have a history of health problems and a ridiculous amount of pre-existing conditions and those assholes get coverage. On the other hand, someone who monitors her health and lost weight because of a warning from her doctor cannot get health insurance.
4. Oh wait, if I was hispanic I would be able to get FREE coverage when I went into the hospital.
5. I really love that I have spent a ridiculous amount on healthcare coverage and NOT USED it for anything other than check ups and I can't get health insurance. This makes a lot of sense to me.
6. Back to Coventry, they also don't provide a phone number, took over a month to get me a response and have basically made it so that when I do secure some sort of health insurance I will have a pre-existing clause (cause God knows, they'll find a
way around Obamacare's thoughts on that).
7. Mccart Insurance- thanks for your stellar follow up and customer service. The fact that I have had to call you and email you multiple times before getting a response is fucking ridiculous. No one answers your phone calls and your emails just
get pushed around. Thanks for your shitty service buddy.
And in case you were wondering, I'm fairly certain my blood pressure is off the fucking charts right now. Nice work.

No comments: