Tuesday, February 22, 2011

KT Tape Review aka. TFGFKTT

I have calf issues like no other. It originates from my ankle...sometimes the achilles. It travels up the back of my calf. Sometimes it hits my knee. Other times it wraps around to my shins. All the time is it not fun and 40% of the time it will stop a great run in it's track and send it packing like a dog with its tail tucked between its legs sent to timeout in his crate.

And then there was KT Tape.

I first spotted KT Tape on my 15-year-old sister. She swims competitively and up until this year kicked some serious ass. Some nagging shoulder issues have stalled her progress and if not for KT Tape she wouldn't be swimming at all. Her physical therapist, also a former swimmer, puts medical tape on her at each rehab session. In between, she recommends my sister use KT Tape.

Why?

Well, KT Tape works the same way the medical tape the doctors uses on her. But, it is precut in a way that makes it universally usable. It takes a lot of guess work out of using it.

A few months later, Barbie put some in a gift basket and I am hooked.

1. It is fun. Why? Well, it comes in all different colors (I personally go for Red and Black).
2. It looks cool. You look hard core. Yeah, I've got aches but bitches I'm still gonna kick ass and take names. I'm not a pansy, I put a bandaid on my blisters and run through the pain. So why not do the same with my calf pain?
3. It works. I don't know how to get all scientific about it but I slap this shit on my legs and BAM. I can run! Apparently it involves kinesiology or some shit but I'm not a doctor so I'm not going to attest to all that crap. Maybe it is medical. Maybe it's mental. Either way.

The website has videos for you to watch for a variety of uses (elbows, knees, ankles, shins, back, shoulder...) plus the box comes with instructions as well. Each box has 20 precut strips (i use 2 at a time for my calves) and retails for about $12.99. But don't fret, you can wear it in the shower and it doesn't come off unless you peel it off. My sister swims in it for 5 days before replacing it so you know it stays put if she can spend 4-5 hours a day in a pool wearing it.

Want to try it before you buy it? GREAT, just head here and follow the instructions!



Kerri Walsh, pro volleyballer, swears by it.

No comments: