Monday, February 23, 2009

Forecast...Mostly Sunny with a few Storm Clouds on the Horizon

So my life may actually not be spiraling out of control as much as I think it is. As I said in the first post, I work as a recruiter for a staffing firm out of Atlanta. At the moment, I am 2nd from the bottom of the totem pole. I've been in my position for over a year and in my humble opinion, I do a fairly good job. While I was at another location, I was consistently in the top 5 in terms of placing people on assignment. I was transferred to a location with less volume but more difficult positions to fill. It has been a totally different experience for a number of reasons...

At the old office, I was constantly stressed. A personality clash had me feeling completely uncomfortable. I began doubting my own skills as a recruiter. A new hire who was touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread really set me on edge. I began picking up bad habits of those around me and making less than stellar choices regarding my job. As these things built up, I was less than pleasant to work with or live with as my mom will tell you. In short, I almost lost my job because I lost my focus.

With the help of my mom and dad, I began to logically consider my situation. My boss had told me to consider finding another job and all but fired me in less than so many words. I agreed to consider alternate employment because she requested it and at the time I could no longer do my job in a way that would be beneficial to myself or my company. Unfortunately, my company can be a bit of a web of gossip and soon the situation had spun out of control. Despite requesting help from superiors, I was not granted that help. Nor was I even granted the opportunity to have my say. In taking the high road, I had effectively rendered myself unable to direct my own position within the company. I was unable to communicate which for a journalism major is the end of the world.

Finally, I reached out to HR. I was scared because she is such a serious lady but with the economy in a downturn and less than a year at the job, I was afraid I was being pushed out the door with no hope of getting unemployment while I looked for my next position. A serious of ridiculous events led to me eventually being transferred to my current branch. It's made all the difference in the world.

I have two great co-workers who are technically my bosses but we all function as a piece of the pie. Without the others, we are unable to get the job done in a manner that satisfies us all. Recently, my Ops Manager received a promotion into sales. You might think this would open the door for a promotion for myself. While I have the support of the staff I work with, I do not have corporate support. Despite over a year of experience in my current position, I may not get the opportunity to take the next step. Rather, I would take on the role of my former boss as well as my own duties with no promotion or raise. As always there is conflict that is making our jobs more stressful and the ideas of how to handle them are not there anymore. At times, it is virtually impossible to behave in a professional manner with certain people. Backstabbing, manipulation,  and lying are the norm for some people within my company. To me it is not a healthy environment and it snuffs out success. These are the storm clouds I speak of. My hope is that the sun shines on through and everything works itself out.

This has me feeling kind of low but also revved. It is an opportunity in itself to show the people who don't think I can rise to the challenge that I am worthy of the promotion. That I care enough about my job to continue to strive for more. I work in an office of talented people and love my clients, my candidates and my coworkers. I get the opportunity to work on jobs ranging from the mundane receptionist to the HVAC installer. I deal with clients via email, phone calls and lunches. I get to work with cool technology in the form of video interviewing and interactive newsletters that track what my clients are clicking on. All-in-all it's an excellent position I find myself in.  

No comments: