Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Why I Hate My Job

1. I am convinced it will make me racist. I feel bad even putting this down but I really feel a need to be honest here. Some of the people I have met in this field are the most judgemental people ever despite promises to never discriminate. And clients tend to be the worst!





2. Hang ups. What happened to ending a conversation with Good Bye. Just because you consider the conversation over and happen to be in a pissy mood does not mean you need to hang the phone up without saying a goodbye or even a thanks. Also, when you slam the phone down I CAN HEAR IT...and in case you were wondering... IT HURTS. Also, when you call somewhere and the person you want to talk to doesn't answer or its the wrong number, why don't you a. ask for the person you are looking for or b. say, "Wrong number. Sorry!" and then hang up. If the phone rings one more time, and I hear a click as I'm running through my thanks for calling.... this is... how may I help you?" I'm going to throw the phone through the glass that is currently encasing my desk.





3. What is with the inability to listen? You ask a question, I answer. Don't ask the same question again. For example, today a guy called in asking if we were accepting applications. I explained to him that we accept applications online only and proceeded to give him the web address. He then said, "So you don't take applications in the office?" I believe I just covered that. Even after I said, "As I stated before, we take applications online only" and again gave him the web address he thought maybe the third time might be the charm.





4. Stupidity of the ridiclous kind. The same guy then proceeded to ask me if I had the number of the location that did take applications in person. I asked him if he knew what location he was interested in. He said, "The one closest to me." Oh really? The one closest to you? Well, just out of curiousity, where the hell are you? Because you know when I pick up the phone it lists your EXACT location with a map so I can pinpoint the location you are closest to. And by the way the conversation literally started with the question- no hello or greeting of any sort. Why not try identifying yourself at the start of a conversation. In fact, in case you need some help:


Hi my name is Sally Stupid and I am currently looking for a job in the Atlanta area.


Can you tell me how I would go about doing so with your agency?


Honestly, how fucking hard is that? Then of course, you would have to listen to my answer and respond appropriately.





4. Constant reminders of how to do my job. I love getting calls from candidates wanting to remind me to do something for them.


Hi this is Debbie Dumbo and I just wanted to remind you to check my references!


In case you were wondering, my job is not to cater to specific candidates. My job is actually to find the best candidate for my client in a way that benefits both the client and the candidate. Also, I have all manner of things to complete before I can place you. Paperwork, testing and references included. Trust me, I am working on it but when a job comes in that has to be filled, well your request is no longer a priority. I will get to it. I promise. I don't need you calling 10 times a day to remind me to do so.





5. I hate the phone. I have just learned this. I don't even really enjoy talking to my friends on the phone anymore due to the amount of time I am on the phone with candidates and clients. I don't return calls or answer the phone after hours unless I'm planning to meet up with you or you are my mom. Sorry my bad experiences with the phone at work have ruined it for me. I cannot stand the sound of the phone ringing and now understand why my stepdad wouldn't allow phone calls at home when I was growing up.





6. Inability to follow directions. Why, when I send you an email DETAILING information, must you call me to ask what it means? I'm pretty sure it means exactly what I typed out otherwise I would not have wasted 30 minutes typing it to send you. It's not like I was doing it just to keep my words per minute up in case I lose my job! Try actually reading the email a time or two before calling me. 90% of the time, the answer to your question is in the email. Part B of 6 would be that if I email you asking you to call me or vice versa DO IT. If you don't, then I will not put you to work. If you can't follow my simple instructions, then you will not impress my client. It's like that quiz (which coincidently I failed 1 time before learning from my mistake) where if you had read the directions you would not have written a word on the paper. Yeah, that one you probably failed every year.





7. Payroll. I cannot stand payroll. I will never be an HR generalist for this simple fact. For one thing, candidates never get their time card in on time. For another, if it isn't in their hand the minute we said it would be, they FLIP. That being said, don't tell me I don't know what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck. Trust me, I'm doing it right now just like the rest of the world buddy. No reason for you to be rude to me when your check is screwed up. It happens to everyone and I'm more likely to help you if you aren't a dick about it.





8. ASAPS. Look I'm not calling you at 5:30 the night before a job starts just to have fun with you. Nor am I waking your ass up at 8 am to send you to work as a prank. I hate these and probably more than you do. I hate calling ungrateful people and begging them to take an assignment but it's part of my job. If I can get past it so can you. And contrary to popular belief, a lot of the recruiters in my office started out as temps so take down the you don't understand where I am coming from a notch.



9. Sob Stories. Everyone's got one. I honestly don't care. I care about whether or not you sound professional on the phone, can wear a suit when needed, and will work harder than anyone else on an assignment. What I don't care about is how your bills have all gone to collections, your dad died, you were in a horrific wreck, you are dying of cancer or any other sob story you tell me. Trust me every person that calls in tells me one. I feel for your plight but seriously everyone has got something going on that makes them desperate for work.



10. Last minute cancellations. Unless you have contracted a fatal or contagious disease, a family member has died or you were in a horrific car accident, there is absolutely no reason to call me 20 minutes after you were supposed to be at work to tell me another sob story detailing why you can't be at work. My dog ate my homework takes on a whole new life when you are dealing with temps. How can you possibly be that desperate for work and then cancel when I offer you an assignment? My favorite excuse to date is a woman who called me from inside her garage to tell me that she had locked herself in. I have no idea how she did it or why she couldn't get out but I would have made something up. Anything she had made up would have been better than telling me she is the dumbest fucker in Atlanta.



11. Inability to Read a Job Description. If my job post says you will be paid $12 an hour, trust me that ain't gonna change. If I get one more resume listing their salary requirement at $200,000 on a temp to hire $12/hr position, I am going to probably have to quit my job before I get fired for screaming at the person who sent it. Why would I hire you when you obviously cannot read?!?!?! You saying what you want, isn't gonne make it happen buddy. There was a reason I included the job description- so that you wouldn't apply and waste my time. I don't have enough of it as it is and when I get 200 resumes the last thing I want to see is a salary request that does not match what we are looking to pay.



12. Unemployment Hearings. For your sake, I won't go into too much detail. Suffice to say, even if you fuck up, the state will probably pay you unemployment. Awesome for you, shitty for me.



13. Clients, Candidates and any other PEOPLE I may come into contact with. I think that one says it all.

I'm sure one day I will be able to tell you all the reasons I love my job but lets be honest a reason why I hate my job is much more enjoyable. When things are going well, what's there to write about?

No comments: