Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Am I Being Shallow?

Okay, so I have been trying to sign up for one race a month- it can be a 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon, whatever. But I guess I can be kind of picky because the one I signed up for the month of November displease me before I even got there. In fact, I never showed up!

The event was a post-Thanksgiving 5K around Piedmont Park through MOVfitness. Well, I should have done my research. The $15 fee basically signed me up to show up. That's it. The money supports other ventures with the group and they advocate a race with no timing chips, no paper cups, no numbers and no t-shirts at the end. I wish I had known this prior to signing up. Next time, I will peruse the entire site before running the ole credit card through. I probably still would have gone but further inspection of the website turned up a fact that I could not get past: The race consists on anywhere from 10-100 people. Basically, I just shelled out $15 bucks to drive 40 minutes to do a club run.

I know, I know it sounds shallow. But I like my race t-shirts at the end of the race. I wear them out until they are nothing but holey pieces of fabric that no longer have a use. And I want the camaraderie of thousands of runners. I'm okay with water stations. And I'm okay with getting up at 6 am to drive 40 minutes to run IF there are race times and pictures to gloat over later.

So tell me, do you agree or disagree with me? Why do you run races?

1 comment:

...Barbie... said...

am i snobby that i am starting to hate 5ks? I think we all have our own reason for running and all the matters is that we actually get out and do it. SO if it's for a tee shirt and bragging rights and to know you were up and running before 98% of your friends than so be it. :)