Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Team Challenge

Today I have decided to be SERIOUS. Dun Dun Dun....

Okay, so I got a flyer in the mail for Team Challenge back in January. I thought to myself, I need a goal for the year. Something to motivate me, to work toward. This could be good. Then I threw it in the pile with the rest of my mail. I thought, "No way I could run a 1/2 marathon". The next day I got one of those fitness magazines and the cover screamed at me to "Train for a 1/2 Marathon". Inside 5 pages were devoted to the training for a 1/2 marathon. It was like a sign. I picked back up the flyer and read through the information. Turns out they support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. It's was like God was screaming at me. Very loudly. And insistently.

"You idiot- get your shit together. You are meant to do this!"

I waffled for a week. I showed up to the first informational meeting. I balked at paying $100 nonrefundable fee to join the team. Inside my head I was saying go for it. But I was scared. And I didn't actually have $100. Then Angel called from the back of the room, "If you sign up tonight I will knock $25 off the fee!" It was like she could read my mind. So without another thought, I signed up.

The fact is, I am very scared of how this is going to go. 4 weeks into training and my feet and knees are throbbing. But my father had colitis and had to have his colon removed. I remember studying his scar with fascination and disgust as a child. I remember the sac he had to wear to help get toxins out of his system during his recovery period. I talked to him about it and he was very excited that I was doing this and began collecting money at work to help get me there. He also told me my aunt was diagnosed with colitis right before he was. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I have it as well.

So far I have raised $976 toward my goal of $4200. If I can raise the funds, I will be heading to Napa to run 13.1 miles in honor of my dad and aunt from Napa to Sonoma. I urge everyone to look into CCFA and see what you can do to help. If you can't help me get to my goal, at least help in another way to help CCFA reach their goals. There are currently 1.4 million Americans (over 30,000 right here in Georgia) that have Crohn’s or ulcerative colitis. These are seldom discussed, very painful diseases of the digestive tract. I am hoping that my participation in Team Challenge will help find a cure.

My own donation page can be reached below:
http://www.active.com/donate/napa09georgia/napa09EGrantham

On a special note, I will be donating my first mile to my friend Tracy's father who suffered from Crohn's. Tracy was the first person to donate $100 to my cause without a request from myself! Feel free to forward the link to anyone you think would like to help out.

No comments: